The Gamer Corner
You caught me, I was being snarky and hyperbolic there
Talraen
Lost your password?

Post-TGS Theories and Predictions (Spoilers)

Post-TGS Theories and Predictions (Spoilers) – October 29, 2009 3:21 AM (edited 10/29/09 8:34 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: Not Rated
I was curious about what prophecies were left unfulfilled after book 12, so I checked out the FAQ. Sadly it was never updated for book 11, but oh well. Anyway, between them and book 12, I have developed a few theories.

Rand, Fortuona (Tuon), and Egwene with Callandor
Two prophecies in book 12 lend credence to this. Min reads "He shall hold a blade of light in his hands, and the three shall be one." This is pretty clearly referring to Rand linking with two women and wielding Callandor. I believe these two women to be the Seanchan Empress and Egwene, though I have no idea how those two would end up together. There are a lot of unfulfilled prophecies that relate to this. Egwene has Dreamed about being tied to a hawk (the symbol of the Seanchan), and even had an explicit dream about working together with a Seanchan with a sword. Tuon has never used a sword, but if this prophecy relates to Callandor, then it could be the sword.

EDIT: Another part of this I forgot to mention. The bookmark Min uses, aside from saying she's pretty, has two other bits of information. One is about clearing the rubble before building. The other is "Belief and order give strength" - what if "belief" and "order" refer to the two who will link with Rand with Callandor? Although I have no idea which would be which.

More on Those Three
While there is some talk that Seanchan prophecies were corrupted, I think the ones we know of, at least, are accurate. (A number have been fulfilled, after all.) Rand is supposed to kneel before the Crystal Throne, but he has a prophecy that he must bind the Daughter of the Nine Moons to him. And he is also supposed to know the wrath of the Amyrlin Seat. Many prophecies tie Egwene together with a Seanchan - if, as above, that Seanchan is Tuon, this could all fit together nicely. Perhaps Rand is not the one who is supposed to bind North to East, but rather Egwene. Rand would then be the bridge between them. (Realistically, Rand mostly controls the Aiel anyway, who are from outside.) There's also a Wise One dream of Rand cutting the wetlands in two with a sword... maybe that's not all that metaphorical after all.

I have a really crazy theory that Rand may end up back in the Domination Band, with Egwene and Tuon each having a bracelet. Though I seriously doubt he'd agree to this, or they'd do it, what with all the implications of evil and whatnot. But it would fit in pretty nicely. Maybe they'll just do some kind of warder bond thing. Or nothing at all.

Egwene and Gawyn
I don't have a theory here, I have a question: have these prophecies been fulfilled? Some seem to be, like Gawyn's decision that would lead to his life or death could be joining the rebels. And Gawyn and Egwene are not on the best terms at the end of TGS, so there's plenty more that could happen there. Frankly it would be lame if this was fulfilled, since all the prophecies are about a big decision with an unknown outcome, and nothing like that has really happened.

Mat and Moiraine (and maybe Verin?)
There is one of Egwene's Dreams I had completely forgotten about: "Mat, weighing two Aes Sedai on a huge set of balance scales, and on his decision depended....She could not say what; something vast; the world, perhaps." Well, Mat has promised to go after one Aes Sedai, and has a letter of unknown contents from another. Another who happens to be of the Black Ajah (though not really), which may tie into another Mat Dream: "In another, a woman, face shrouded in shadow, beckoned him toward great danger; Egwene did not know what, only that it was monstrous." Now we know Verin's motives were pure, but she did have oaths to follow, and could be leading Mat into a trap. Could he have to decide between going after Moiraine and whatever is in Verin's letter? And would this tie in somehow to the various prophecies that imply him losing an eye?

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Post-TGS Theories and Predictions (Spoilers) – October 29, 2009 3:56 PM (edited 10/29/09 11:56 AM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
I'm bored and pulling together some stuff that isn't fulfilled:

Egwene dream:
Rand confronting her, and the women with her, and one of them was a Seanchan.

[LOC: 15, A Pile of Sand, 258]

Twice, right atop one another, she dreamed of taking [Gawyn] by the shoulders and trying to turn him to face the other way against his will. Once he brushed her hands away roughly; the other time she was somehow stronger than he. The two blended together hazily.
Not fulfilled. Will Eg convince Gawyn to join her on the side of the rebels, or will he cling to his loyalty to Elaida? Related to Min's viewing of Gawyn kneeling to Eg or breaking her neck.

n another, [Gawyn] began swinging a door closed on her, and she knew if that narrowing gap of light vanished, she was dead.
Not fulfilled. Again, this must be related to Min's viewing of Gawyn kneeling to Eg or killing her-- Gawyn has the power to destroy Eg, if he chooses not to join her. Or rescue her, possibly, given events in COT.

[ACOS: 10, Unseen Eyes, 195]

...that she [Egwene] would bond him [Gawyn], she knew from interpreting her dreams...

[ACOS: 10, Unseen Eyes, 201]

On bare feet, Gawyn walked [toward her] across a floor of broken glass, shards breaking at every slow step....she could see the trail of blood left by his slashed feet.
Partially fulfilled? This seems to indicate that before Gawyn can join Egwene, he must go through a great deal of pain and difficulty.

[TSR: 47, The Truth of a Viewing, 544]

GAWYN: either breaking Egwene's neck or kneeling to her

[ACOS: 33, A Bath, 526]

RAND: I saw you and another man. I couldn't make out either face, but I knew one was you. You touched, and seemed to merge into one another, and....one of you dies, and one doesn't."

LTT was never actually a real person, it was just another version of Rand. This has got to be Moridin.

[ACOS: 41, A Crown of Swords, 642]

CADSUANE: "It's Cadsuane. She is going to teach you something, you and the Asha'man. All the Asha'man, I mean. It's something you have to learn, but I don't know what it is, except that none of you will like learning it from her. You aren't going to like it at all."

Certainly not to never use balefire....not sure what this could mean.

Re: Post-TGS Theories and Predictions (Spoilers) – October 29, 2009 9:45 PM (edited 10/29/09 5:45 PM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
Semi-looney theory: I think the 3rd woman with Rand linked to the sword is Moiraine, making it potentially Egwene (or Alivia, as a weapon herself, she is a good choice to lead the strike), Rand, Moiraine

I guess this is a big duh but this seems directly related to Rand's spiritual healing.

There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow,
for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he is one with the land.
Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield.
He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow.
Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

But another thing i saw:

What 'wound of madness and cutting of hope' has he healed? (Moiraine talking)

Wound of madness seems like saidin cleansing, makes sense, but cutting of hope ... how does one heal a cutting of hope? Also isn't it interesting that Rand's own 2 wounds (one by Ishy, and one by the knife cut (slash) of Fain) mirror this? One brought him madness (it's the taint), the other brought him hope (it almost directly allowed him to solve the cleansing question). yet neither is healed. Perhaps Rand the healer emerges from the mountaintop? Ala Cecil the Paladin in FFIV! lulz

ok I'm done. but still, thought this was interesting. and I think the Moiraine / Alivia / Rand thing might make sense, since Egwene going along (after Rand "Knows her anger" just seems strange). also tuon seems even more strange, esp. since rand needs alivia to help him die. finally I think that rand will have to merge or something with Moridin while wielding callandor (it magnifies madness right? perhaps there's a reason it was built to do that, or perhaps it's a side affect of how it deals with the DO's presence) and using the TP/Saidar/Saidin perfectly seal the bore, perhaps with either himself, or Moridin on the other side. (or from the inside, and perhaps to get inside he needs to use the ghenjei trick, or some other worldly trick that moiraine is aware of).

ok, now I'm really done with the looniness.

Active Users: (none)
no users viewing | Refresh