The Gamer Corner
You can't please all of the people all of the time, and you can't please Dowd at all
Balerion
Lost your password?

Design Document

Re: Design Document – July 19, 2010 7:11 PM (edited 7/19/10 3:11 PM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: Not Rated
You actually can't copyright rules at all, so provided I avoid IP they have no legal leg to stand on. Although having "/rollstyle d&d" is probably an issue. But meh.

Also, it should be noted that I am not doing this design because I am intending to market this, I just want to make a good site. If it's marketable, it's marketable - I don't expect it to be. I want to make it first and foremost useful to us, and when I play online I prefer to go totally rules-transparent anyway.

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Design Document – July 19, 2010 7:14 PM (edited 7/19/10 3:14 PM)
This is an interesting point, and I've had success not showing players any character information in the past. However, even in this case I'd still want the character boxes, for information like "this character is dying" and such. Though if we had the short-status I mentioned earlier I guess that would work just as well. Maybe a GM-only portion of the rules box could exist? That would be useful anyway for tracking things like durations, status effects, negatives that haven't shown up yet, or whatever.

--
Re: Design Document – July 19, 2010 7:16 PM (edited 7/19/10 3:16 PM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
Then what was up with that whole "Open Gaming License" they did for 3.X? If rules are not IP as such, then in theory anyone already had the right to publish a totally different game that used the same rules as D&D. What's the distinction that I'm missing here?

Syllabic (4:14 PM): tozzi are you like dowd's jiminy cricket
Re: Design Document – July 19, 2010 7:17 PM (edited 7/19/10 3:17 PM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
The archaic rule implementation is what I think you avoid by constraining it to one system, as a clearly defined rule set allows you to build a reasonably friendly interface, but suit yourself. Like I said, the more open system is something I might actually use one day.

Re: Design Document – July 19, 2010 7:18 PM (edited 7/19/10 3:18 PM)
Oh, I definitely think the character boxes are a good idea. I'm just saying, the GM should be the final arbiter of what the players can and can't see. Hell, I can even imagine playing some totally non-corporeal being that the rest of the characters probably couldn't tell if it was dying or not, so even that could be hidden by the GM.

Re: Design Document – July 19, 2010 7:19 PM (edited 7/19/10 3:19 PM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
Not sure if this is an answer to your question or not, but while the rules themselves might not be copyrightable, the "d20 Rules System" phrase probably is, and by leaving that open they allowed 3rd parties to piggyback on the success of d20 D&D.

Re: Design Document – July 19, 2010 7:19 PM (edited 7/19/10 3:19 PM)
The OGL basically existed because they couldn't copyright rules. You can use those rules, or the 4E rules, and even reprint them in their entirety (minus IP stuff like mind flayers), but if you follow the OGL license you can also use the d20 logo. That's why it existed.

--
Re: Design Document – July 19, 2010 7:21 PM (edited 7/19/10 3:21 PM)
Ah, I see. That makes sense.

Active Users: (none)
no users viewing | Refresh