The Gamer Corner
Because god gets his power from your tears.
chaoscat
Lost your password?

Mockups #1

Mockups #1 – July 21, 2010 3:42 PM (edited 7/28/10 12:11 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: Not Rated
I've put together two basic mockups of the chat system. Both are of the same situation, one from the GM's perspective and one from a player's perspective. They don't feature several ideas we've come up with, such as clickable macros, but I'm looking to get a general feel for the layout and such. Not so much colors and whatnot (this is far from a final design), but certainly the relations between things.

The mockup doesn't actually contain any real UI elements other than chat input boxes (which do not function). In theory, the names in the Initiative box will be draggable to re-order them, and from the GM's view all player stats and darkened "notes" areas will be editable by clicking on them. This will replace the box with a standard text input box, which will save when you click elsewhere.

A few other specific notes for the observant. Generally I've used a darker shade to indicate "private" data, but I'm not married to this idea. The reason the chat box in Guimar's character box is highlighted is because the GM received a private message from him and has not yet acknowledged it. This box will return to the usual gray when the GM clicks on the private chat input, or sends a tell in response from the main window (which you can see he's about to do). Also, different background colors on chat lines indicate different types of chat. I went this route to preserve personalized fonts while still making it clear what is an emote, a roll, etc. Let me know what you think!

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Mockups #1 – July 23, 2010 7:29 PM (edited 7/23/10 3:29 PM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Rating: Not Rated
You might want to put in a place holder for where the map will go in your mock ups. I know you're not ready to start doing the actual map coding, but the current mock ups are looking mighty crowded. It's be a shame to cram in all this chat functionality and then have no place to put a map.

Along those lines, you might want to think about what the interface will look like with upwards of 7 players and a DM instead of only 4.

Active Users: (none)
no users viewing | Refresh