The Gamer Corner
Error 404 - Quotes.dat not found
Lost your password?

Dowd's On a Useless Feature Rampage!

Dowd's On a Useless Feature Rampage! – December 10, 2007 4:28 PM (edited 12/10/07 11:28 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: /images/autobot.gif + 1
When I posted my gaming blog on Friday, I mentioned that I would be updating it on a weekly basis. Well, that's not all I'm gonna do! I figured a long-winded topical forum post and/or rant would be fun to do weekly as well, and Monday seems like a good time to do it. (By process of elimination you can probably figure out what I'm doing Wednesdays - and no, it's not a podcast. Wink)

Anyway, this was originally going to just be a forum post, but on Friday I redesigned the access logic for the forums on this site's sister site, The Karma Initiative, and while there was no compelling reason to use the new features on the Gamer Corner, it was a good change so I figured I would bring them over. Now, the specific change is that there is a new access level for forums beyond none, user, and moderator: replies only. Basically, if you have this user level you can reply to posts, but can't start threads (or polls). The only obvious use for this for a typical forum is an "announcements" forum, but I'd rather implement some nice stuff with my development blog for that.

It occurred to me that these two things could be put together, though, and that's what I've done. This is a new forum for posting articles, essays, or whatever - user generated stuff, not links and whatnot. Currently only I can create threads, but if anyone would actually like to be able to post stuff here, feel free to ask. Sure, it's all kind of ridiculous, but what the hell, I'm bored and I like fucking around with new site ideas. I don't really like the forum name, though... I'm open to suggestions.

That's all for now. I wasn't sure what to write my inaugural essay rant about, until a series of similar things pissed me off over the last day or so and I realized I should just write about that. We'll see how it turns out.

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh