The Gamer Corner
The cake is a lie!
Lost your password?

OMG Another Podcast!

OMG Another Podcast! – January 30, 2008 5:00 AM (edited 1/30/08 12:47 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: Not Rated
Yes! On the one-year anniversary of the first podcast, here is the second! Which I believe was recorded a week after the first. Yes, I'm awesome. This one was a huge bitch to edit, and I'd like to give my thanks to Cuzzo for pointing me in the right direction to solve the out-of-sync problem. Of course, only steeling myself for the task could solve the "podcast went completely afield of the original format" problem.

Because we decided to cut the time-sensitive sections anyway, this podcast does actually hold up. Sure, none of the three of us who were playing FFXI obsessively at the time have logged in much at all recently, and LOTRO has long since launched and doesn't need to be pimped, but that's fine. You can still listen to Clair talk about how nobody else is cool enough to get all the cool shit in MMO's!

Anyway, this was a fun podcast to record, even though the various problems obviously were a huge pain. With the technical problems solved, we could potentially make a third podcast pretty easily by addressing the format problems beforehand. They are a pain to edit, and you can feel free to shoot me if I ever suggest doing them on a regular schedule again, but I'm all for recording another in the future. Even a short podcast on something very specific, like a single game or book discussion, if we get the people. Let me know if anyone is interested. In the meantime, enjoy this one.

BTW, as of this writing I haven't really edited the podcast as much as I'd like to. I'd like to add the intro music, and the transition between the intro and the opening discussion doesn't work at all (I figure bridge music will help a little). I'll update this thread when I re-upload the "good" version.

EDIT: Wow, the quality on this one is not great. I think it mainly needs to be louder. I'm open to any advice you guys have. Also, while I seriously doubt anyone has been downloading this at midnight, I had a number of problems with the encoding and whatnot, and only now is the correct file fully working, AFAIK.

Re: OMG Another Podcast! – January 30, 2008 1:18 PM (edited 1/30/08 8:18 AM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Looks like it's me to the rescue again for technical problems Smile

For sound quality issues, there are two ways you can go about improving it, and unfortunately, they must be done at the time of the recording. The first way is for the leader to put the sound through a mixing board before doing the recording because the mixing board will let you adjust the input channels till everyone is on the same volume.

Assuming you don't want to buy a mixing board, the second way is simply to have everyone record their own mic channel, and then you can splice them all together. This also has the added benefit of letting you clean up any errors that may occur on one mic, but not the other ones. Of course, it's also a lot more work all around.

As for cleaning up sound that's already been recorded... that's a bit trickier. I think Audasity has some sound cleaning tools that might get you a little more oomph out of the recording, but you're kind of screwed. If you can isolate each voice into it's own channel, then at least you'll be able to volume equalize them all artificially.

Re: OMG Another Podcast! – January 30, 2008 1:27 PM (edited 1/30/08 8:27 AM)
Oh, the way I recorded it over Skype already divides into two channels: me, and everyone else. And although it's not in the actual podcast, we spent quite a while making sure everyone else's volume was fairly even. (The podcast is an hour long, but we recorded more than two hours, and only about twenty minutes of actual content was cut in the end.) There are the occasional hiccups on their end while one of them is talking, which I can't edit out for all the reasons you mentioned, but I got rid of most of the ones on my end, or when I was the one talking. You may notice I got sloppier around the halfway point because I just wanted to finish it. Wink

But anyway, I don't think the quality is bad in an "oh crap I can't make this sound good" kind of way, I think I just mixed it too low. The only real editing I ever did for this prior to this week was to fix the out of sync problems (where my end was like eight seconds behind by the end), and to level off my own end because it was very loud. The waveform for this podcast, at least in stereo form, looks pretty funny. I decreased my volume to like 40%, so while the three of them have a normal looking waveform, mine is like solid boxes, but they're not very big.

Anyway, my worry is that it's just not loud enough in general, and if it didn't take 20 minutes to re-encode, I'd just have done that last night. Also, it's in the same quality as the first podcast (mono 32kbps), but I feel like it sounds a bit worse, so I need to find out if that's because of the program I used to encode it sucking (neither audacity nor any other programs I have for editing let me export to a specific mp3 format other than standard, which I think is 128kbps, far too high for a podcast.)

Re: OMG Another Podcast! – January 31, 2008 2:47 PM (edited 1/31/08 9:47 AM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
I listened to the first 1/3rd so far and the only person that's too soft is me. Everyone else I can hear perfectly well (albeit at a higher volume than I typically run my computer at, but at least it's consistent).

by the way do I talk my way through the entire frickin thing?! I blame Steve.

Re: OMG Another Podcast! – January 31, 2008 2:52 PM (edited 1/31/08 9:52 AM)
No, actually I think there's a pretty decent split between who goes on and on. I know you and I each do several times. Steve doesn't get into a lot of monologues, IIRC, but he's an active participant in almost every conversation. Brian might have gotten the shaft a bit because I cut a number of parts about LOTRO's eventual release, where obviously he was talking a lot.

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh