The Gamer Corner
Piles of ash don't move and can be easily controlled with a broom
Balerion
Lost your password?

Vote on the New Quote Rotation

Poll Results (voting in this poll has ended)
Leave the quote rotation random like it is now
56% 5 votes
Have quotes rotate on a daily basis, and be the same for everyone
44% 4 votes
TOTAL 100% 9 votes
Talraen (2373 posts)
May 3, 2008 2:23 PM (edited 5/3/08 10:23 AM)
With the new quote voting system in place (see below if you don't know what I'm talking about), I may be changing the quote rotation system, I figured I'd put it to a vote, so here are the two basic options:

First, I can leave the rotation random like it is now. Alternately, if you guys think it's a good idea, I could make it a bit less random, for instance blocking quotes you voted "no" on or favoring quotes you haven't seen before.

The other option is to have a single quote shown to all users, chosen daily. Basically, the system would choose the quote each day that has been seen the least, favoring quotes with the best voting record. Weekends would be reserved for "classic quotes," which would be any quotes with good voting records but would not affect the weekly rotation (since people are rarely here). The quote space could occasionally be usurped for announcements of birthdays or whatever as well (this can still happen even if the random rotation is kept).

So those are your options, now go discuss and vote!

Click here to read the nitty-gritty on the voting system
Click here to read the nitty-gritty on the voting system
The system is fairly simple, but there are a lot of parts. Any logged in user can click the new "submit a quote" link on the header bar to suggest a quote. In addition to the quote itself, you can optionally attribute the quote to another user. If you attribute the quote, that user's name will appear in the header bar and yours won't, so this is intended for people giving other people props for a funny remark or whatever. There's no really good way to guarantee that a quote will fit, so I've included a preview panel, and I will be removing any quotes I see that are too long. Note that you can only submit three quotes per calendar day (this does reset at midnight).

Once a quote has been submitted, any logged-in user who visits the home page of the site will see the newest quote, along with giant buttons to vote on it, in the first splash panel. (You automatically vote yes on your own quote submissions.) You can also elect to skip voting. If you do this, the quote will show up again once you've voted on any other new quotes. There's no way to make it stop showing a quote unless you actually vote on it. So vote!

One special note on voting. If you attribute a quote to another user, that user gets veto rights (and will receive an e-mail notification to this effect). If they vote no, the vote's over and the quote is rejected immediately. This is obviously to prevent abuse. You can still submit offensive quotes, but even if they win the vote the administrator (that's me) has the power to remove them at any time. So keep it clean, and remember the site is public!

Votes will be tallied after one week, but only if there are a minimum number of votes cast (right now I'm leaning towards 5). A quote needs a simple majority to be added to the rotation - a tie won't cut it. If you guys think a quote should need a higher percentage to be approved, let me know (but keep in mind with the daily rotation model that a vote that barely passes may never show up anyway if enough quotes are approved).

Collin (34 posts)
November 15, 2008 12:00 AM (edited 11/14/08 7:00 PM)
Just read this and the second paragraph sounds great to me.
Someone wrote...
First, I can leave the rotation random like it is now. Alternately, if you guys think it's a good idea, I could make it a bit less random, for instance blocking quotes you voted "no" on or favoring quotes you haven't seen before.

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh