The Gamer Corner
Please don't be put off by our irrational hatred of all things
Lost your password?

Four Light Network Rewards

Talraen (2373 posts)
May 8, 2008 12:54 PM (edited 5/8/08 8:54 AM)
All right, after some discussion my "forum titles" idea has been expanded to more than just some names you can earn in various ways. We're going to set up an entire "rewards" system based on them, which can grant you various powers on the different network sites. This thread will serve as a place to gather ideas for a.) how rewards are earned and b.) what powers you can get. Keep in mind that rewards that only give you a title are fine - not everything needs to have a gimmick attached. But the more gimmicks, the merrier! Also, a lot of rights that are currently given out freely, due to this site's original intent and invitation scheme, will be restricted. However, earning titles will be retroactive so long-time users won't be affected, and any individual right can be turned off (and thus given out to all users automatically) on a per-site basis.

Also keep in mind that various users will be able to hand out titles, which won't have any special effects attached to them. All titles will appear in your user profile, and you will be able to select your displayed forum title on a per-forum basis (if you wish).

So to start with, here are a few potential powers you can earn:
* Mod-like abilities on individual forums, such as handing out titles and possibly making threads sticky
* Control over what is displayed in one of the main page splash panels (this would only be granted to one user, and would be based on some rotating statistic related to worthwhile content contribution)
* General preference for "featured content" status on the main page for your content
* Ability to post embedded youtube videos (the youtube tag will still work, but it will create a link)
* Ability to post images (the image tag will still work, but it will create a link)
* Ability to use the [ffxi] tags (this will involve access to the FFXI forum, which I control - elitism FTW! Smile)
* Ability to suggest header quotes per day (higher rankings mean more per day)
* Ability to create new threads on new, restricted forums (most existing forums won't be changed, and you'll only have to post a few times anywhere on the site to earn this one)
* Ability to create polls
* Ability to have a forum signature and editable profile text (these might not require rewards, I don't know yet)
* More choices for chat font and/or color
* Preference for listing on the "active user" list, which will be relevant if any site ever has enough that they no longer fit

If you have comments on any of these things, or any other ideas, please post them here.

Now, the actual rewards will be determined statistically. Generally you will earn basic rights by just contributing (so they'll be based on total posts and whatnot), while more esoteric rights will be earned with more difficult-to-achieve statistics, and can potentially be lost. The ability to control a splash content pane, for example, might be based on having the best ratio of responses to your iniital posts over the past few weeks. The number of quotes you can suggest per day may be based in part on how well your quotes do. And there will be a lot of titles just for the sake of being interesting or funny, or to make you paranoid about just how much we know about you. Smile

Cuzzdog (1522 posts)
May 8, 2008 1:07 PM (edited 5/8/08 9:07 AM)
Why would you gimp the youtube and img tags based on who created the post? Doesn't that basically make it inconvenient for other people to see the intended content? If you're worried about spamming, maybe make it an admin ability to ban a user's use of those tags (but more likely that type of person will be banned totally anyway).

I was about to suggest making it optional to make a link to the img/youtube vid and then I remembered that there is already a tag for that: [[Link]. Duh.

Talraen (2373 posts)
May 8, 2008 1:13 PM (edited 5/8/08 9:13 AM)
Look at it this way, iLOLing has existed for a week and is already getting busier than the Gamer Corner has been in a long time. And it's entirely populated by punk kids. Smile Admittedly, I'm not the admin there, so it wouldn't be my responsibility to deal with this anyway, but there are three reasons for these rights to be earned:

1.) Like you said, to prevent spam. Man, I wish that was a serious problem here. That would mean we've made it. Wink

2.) Because I don't trust new users at all. Not that posting a few times (or whatever) will make them any less a bunch of jerks, but I think most people are less inclined to abuse (and lose) priviliges they had to work for than those freely given to them. And less work for the admins is good.

3.) We're trying to make these sites based around the concept of being rewarded for contribution, both because it's sort of a game, and to encourage people to contribute. More content = more happy users. So the more rewards we have, the better. If you don't want us to scrape the bottom of the barrel, give us some new ideas. Smile

Collin (34 posts)
May 8, 2008 6:58 PM (edited 5/8/08 2:58 PM)
#1 mod right here

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/671/8602f3994ce5dc1d1e6c093lq4.jpgepic win sig
- Collin : coiner of LOLing phrase

Ratnips (2 posts)
May 14, 2008 12:58 PM (edited 5/14/08 8:58 AM)
yeah yeah yeah yea hyeah yea hyea hye ahye a

Collin (34 posts)
August 2, 2008 4:15 PM (edited 8/2/08 12:15 PM)
Not sure if this applies for the entire network but I think it's just for iLOLing; Do we get points for submitting quotes and getting them voted yes on? If not, I think this would be a good way to get a little extra points as long as there is a limit to how many points you can get by submitting good quotes.

Just a thought!!

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7001/ilolingax5.jpgEpic win sig - Veni Vidi Vici fool
- Collin: coiner of LOLing phrase
Talraen (2373 posts)
August 2, 2008 9:38 PM (edited 8/2/08 5:38 PM)
Yes, you get points not only for getting quotes approved, but also by the margin of approval. You don't get any points for quotes that aren't approved, though I guess maybe I should change that.

Collin (34 posts)
August 2, 2008 9:43 PM (edited 8/2/08 5:43 PM)
Yeah like if they get 100% vote yes... nice to know, thanks.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7001/ilolingax5.jpgEpic win sig - Veni Vidi Vici
~Collin: coiner of LOLing phrase
Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh