The Gamer Corner
This isn't the brand of crazy koolaid that I usually pour
chaoscat
Lost your password?

See Hancock.

See Hancock. – July 4, 2008 8:52 AM (edited 7/4/08 4:52 AM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
Rating: Not Rated
Seriously, I want to talk about it and you can't talk about it without seeing it. If you haven't seen it don't read a single review (most of them wildly miss the point anyways, but some in their fliailing accidently hit something important).

See it, post back here! Let's talk.

Re: See Hancock. – July 4, 2008 12:28 PM (edited 7/4/08 8:28 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
I probably won't, just because there are other movies I want to see more. But I can say that my parents saw it and absolutely hated it, for whatever that's worth. Smile

Re: See Hancock. – July 5, 2008 6:45 PM (edited 7/5/08 2:45 PM)
Cyris (240 posts) Tapped Out
So, basically Clair likes a movie about Superman? Color me surprised Wink

But really, the previews look really good, though I'm worried it'll start good but have a lame ending. We'll see!

Re: See Hancock. – July 5, 2008 7:32 PM (edited 7/5/08 3:32 PM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
All I can say is that the previews, for once, actually showed restraint.

Anyways if someone does see it, post!

Re: See Hancock. – July 7, 2008 11:56 AM (edited 7/7/08 7:56 AM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Oh, oh! Pick me! Sara and I saw it this Sunday. We both gave it 4 stars, which in our world translates to "Really good, but not quite run out and buy the DVD good".

Re: See Hancock. – July 8, 2008 2:45 PM (edited 7/8/08 10:45 AM)
Sloth (45 posts) Level 1
Most movies that are "Good, but not incredible" fall under the, "wait to buy the DVD" category, as that's generally much cheaper than actually going to the movies to see it.

On that note, fuck dinner and a movie costing 100 bucks.

Re: See Hancock. – July 8, 2008 2:49 PM (edited 7/8/08 10:49 AM)
No, this was worth going to see in the theater. Good, but worth the wait for DVD is 3 stars for me.

Also, where are you going to see this movie and eat dinner that it's costing you 100 bucks? I can only image you're getting popcorn at those prices.

Re: See Hancock. – July 8, 2008 3:06 PM (edited 7/8/08 11:06 AM)
Sloth (45 posts) Level 1
Wait, there's a reason to go to the movies besides movie popcorn? I've been tempted, on mulitple occasions, to stop into a movie theater just to buy popcorn and leave. That's a level of being fat that I can't accept...

But seriously, figure you take a girl to dinner and even if you go someplace cheap like Friday's(Have a couple of drinks, split an appetizer, each have an entree), you're looking at 50-60 bucks easy. Then tickets are at minimum 10 bucks each, plus soda and candy. It's very easy to spend 40 bucks at the movies.

Re: See Hancock. – July 8, 2008 3:18 PM (edited 7/8/08 11:19 AM)
Oh, dinner and a movie doesn't go that way for me. But maybe that's because I'm married? Anyway, Sara and I have long given up movie popcorn as crazy over priced and not that great. I think it's been 3? 4? years since I've last bought it, and even then it was because someone gave us a gift certificate for it. We also usually hit up weekend matinees because they just happen to fit into our schedule (of being old people now) better than late night movies.

And I don't think I've ever spent $50 at a chain restaurant for two people. Then again, we rarely get appetizers or liquor (let alone a few drinks), so I guess that's the difference. So, this past Sunday, lunch at Pannara and the movie cost us a grand total of $35 and change ($16 for the movies, $19 something for the lunch).

Re: See Hancock. – July 8, 2008 3:20 PM (edited 7/8/08 11:20 AM)
Yes, the fact that you're married is the entire reason it doesn't work that way. Strangely, the average person is likely to interpret "I don't buy movie popcorn because it's too expensive" as "I am cheap."

Re: See Hancock. – July 8, 2008 3:23 PM (edited 7/8/08 11:23 AM)
Thrifty. The word you're looking for is "thrifty". Or sane. They both seem to work in this case.

Actually, I don't really see most people with movie popcorn anymore. Maybe that's because we go to the matinee shows?

Re: See Hancock. – July 8, 2008 3:29 PM (edited 7/8/08 11:29 AM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
Last time Sandy and I went out to dinner and a movie I think it ran us ~$50, but it wasn't a first date and we're both working on pretty tight budgets at the moment. And that was a weeknight in NYC - entrees and movie tickets, probably a soft drink for one of us, but I don't think we got anything other than that.

Re: See Hancock. – July 8, 2008 3:31 PM (edited 7/8/08 11:31 AM)
Sloth (45 posts) Level 1
Yes and a girl thinking "this guy is cheap" is not a good way to get a second date, which leads to a very diminished chance of getting laid.

Which isn't to say that I try to impress girls by spending money, but I'm certainly going to ask if they would like a drink and a snack when we're at the movies.

Re: See Hancock. – July 8, 2008 3:33 PM (edited 7/8/08 11:33 AM)
You don't want to date the kind of gold digger who expects popcorn at movies.

Re: See Hancock. – July 30, 2008 2:05 PM (edited 7/30/08 10:05 AM)
OK, I have now seen Hancock, and I have no idea why this thread exists. The movie was OK, not great, and the "huge omg twist" was barely a twist at all - certainly did not deserve the comparisons to the Sixth Sense or Fight Club that I've read. Because it didn't change the nature of the movie prior to the twist. Frankly, it felt more like a case of "hey, we have this asshole superhero redemption plot, and we have no idea how to end it."

So, maybe I "missed the point" as well, and I'm curious what (you think Sticking Out Tongue) it was.

Re: See Hancock. – July 30, 2008 2:19 PM (edited 7/30/08 10:26 AM)
Yeah, the movie was ok. Fun, but nothing special. Certainly, it was overshadowed by movies like Iron Man and Hell Boy 2, and completely spanked by Dark Knight. I'm sure Clair was really to start ranting and raving about the nature of super heroes being alone in their power and unappreciated. Much like he did when Superman Returns (another ok movie that he raved about for the same issues) came out.

EDIT: For anyone else who doesn't want to see the movie, you can now experience it 100 times faster and more honest. Now that’s what I’m talkin’ ’bout!

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh