The Gamer Corner
Where civil conversation goes to die.
Lost your password?

Lala.com

Lala.com – October 21, 2008 3:09 PM (edited 10/21/08 11:09 AM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
Rating: Not Rated
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/20/AR2008102003688.html

This was intriguing to me. It's a new music site that sells DRM-free music for approximately 90 cents / song (slight variation based on the song). But what's new about it is that it also allows you to play every song on its site for free, one time. However, you can pay 10 cents to add that song to your "web library" and then you have access to stream that song as long as you are logged into the site. Furthermore it will allow you to upload your own music library to that "web song" list for free. And they give you 50 free "web song" choices to get you hooked. And if you later buy a song you have bought as a web song then the 10 cents goes towards the 90 cents required for outright purchase.

So what you're effectively doing is building an online song library at a cost of 10 cents per song that you don't already own.

Is this intriguing to people?

Re: Lala.com – October 21, 2008 3:25 PM (edited 10/21/08 11:25 AM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
That is a pretty cool model. I'm looking for more things to say about it, but I really can't. Chances are I'm still going to buy my music on CD's that I rip. Sara says she thinks CD's are going the way of the dinosaurs though as almost all of her school kids buy their music online.

Re: Lala.com – October 21, 2008 3:32 PM (edited 10/21/08 11:32 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
I love that the 10 cents goes towards your eventual purchase. It's a pretty cool model overall - that said, I am generally against this whole "cloud" idea anyway.

Re: Lala.com – October 21, 2008 3:36 PM (edited 10/21/08 11:36 AM)
Bah! You just don't like cloud computing because you're so old. Go back to your punch cards old man!

Re: Lala.com – October 22, 2008 11:56 AM (edited 10/22/08 7:56 AM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
well....the downloads are supposedly mostly VBR targeted to 256kbps - that's a good encoding. I'm impressed. This is the first online music model I've been even vaguely impressed with. My only remaining question (and I assume the answer is yes, but I'd like it spelled out) is once you've paid for the download, do you have unlimited downloads? For example, if my hard drive crashed and I hadn't backed up my collection? (I like having the actual files to burn to CD for my car)

That being said, I might actually try this out. Not right now, because I just ordered a bunch of CDs, but it's definitely something I'd consider the next time I'm looking to expand my music collection.

Then again, if I can get the stuff I already have in an online player, for free, that might be cool in and of itself.

Talraen (11:16 AM): That, and I've learned to parse through Tozzi's contempt
Re: Lala.com – October 22, 2008 12:22 PM (edited 10/22/08 8:22 AM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
Well, I think you only get the file once you've paid 90-cents for it, if you pay 10 cents you can only stream from their site. But since they're tracking your music collection already I can't imagine why they wouldn't let you re-download one of your songs, especially when they're DRM free.

Re: Lala.com – October 22, 2008 12:48 PM (edited 10/22/08 8:48 AM)
I was going to check out LaLa's terms of usage to look at how open they are to these kinds of things, but it's blocked at work. There goes at least 1/2 the appeal of LaLa to me.

Anyway, checking up on Amazon.com (which also sells drm free 256 VBR mp3's for 90 cents or less), they do NOT allow people to re-download the music once purchased. There are two reasons I can see why this is done. 1) DRM free does not mean make as many copies, on as many computers as you like. It's a minor road block/inconvenience that probably makes the RIAA a littler happier about the DRM free part. And 2) Saves on download bandwidth.

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh