The Gamer Corner
Open-book tests are like playing Where's Waldo with your textbook.
Lost your password?

Aion (new MMO)

Aion (new MMO) – January 29, 2009 4:48 PM (edited 1/29/09 11:48 AM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
Rating: Not Rated
www.aiononline.com

Check out their videos section for a good feel of what the game looks like. The first MMO that's going for DX10 craziness and all that jazz. I thought the most recent video (the top most) really was quite intriguing, and supposedly most of it is in game shots.

What really interested me is that it's by the NC Soft guys who did City of Heroes (ok) but more importantly Lineage and Lineage II (the most popular MMOs in the world by a mile because everyone plays them in Korea) and the beta (which just began fairly recently) is taking place in Korea, not the US.

Anyways, it's got a lot of DnD 4ed feel to it, especially in the class design, according to my roommate who is DMing 4th ed, and certainly the classes remind me of EQ (a DnD game at its core).

Finally, at some level you actually get wings and can fly! And there's aerial combat (including PvP ((which is RvR based, and they classify it as PvPvE, or Player v Player v Environment, which is sort of cool sounding I suppose, as a starting point)))!

Re: Aion (new MMO) – January 29, 2009 5:24 PM (edited 1/29/09 12:24 PM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
Pretty.

Looks like they incorporated a lot of the graphical elements I liked from City of Heroes - flexible avatar design, dynamic range of movement for models, powers that really move the character (as opposed to spreading your arms and getting some flashy particle effects). The transformation effects look neat if they're really in game.

The character class system also reminds me of CoH - small number of classes with some customization options available.

The big question is how the game play is. CoH has a very slick interface and is quick to learn (especially relative to FFXI), but the missions get repetitive quickly. The aerial combat could make the learning curve much steeper, although the flight system in CoH wasn't too bad to use. I really enjoyed CoH, and if this plays similarly, I might seriously consider it, especially if it manages better variety of missions (or quests, or whatever). Also, I wonder how much PvP it will be - WOW struck me as having a nice balance, and CoH managed well with PvP only in specific zones, but from what I heard, Guild Wars is almost all PvP, and that can get real old real fast.

As a general fan of NC Soft, I'm actually slightly excited about this.

Talraen (11:16 AM): That, and I've learned to parse through Tozzi's contempt
Re: Aion (new MMO) – January 29, 2009 5:29 PM (edited 1/29/09 12:29 PM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
I like the way they introduce you to character classes as well -- starting with a Basic class type and then evolving (at level X) into your specific class. That's been done before and overall I like it.

Couldn't agree more with the movement and just the general feel of how the game seems to play, if it can actually do that on a large scale and not run at 3 fps it'll be amazing. I guess that's the Dx10 stuff.

I'm sure it will be a lot more indepth than CoH, which didn't have much depth at all, but was very pretty and fun and generally "neat" and "nifty". I grew bored of that game quite fast.

Specifically on flight it says that you will only gain access to it at much later levels, so I'm sure the learning curve won't be bad.

Finally the PvP is Realm v Realm (RvR) between the Light side and Dark side (both player races) and the generic other race (of NPCs) that you can both fight. RvR is typically pretty awesome for PvP games (Dark AGe of Camelot had it) because it makes PvP meaningful, goal oriented, and usually semi concensual (since you enter contested areas v. "safe" areas that are realm controlled).

I originally heard of this game through FFXI connections, and it definitely seems like between its Korean base and general word of mouth that it's not going to be a WoW clone, and that's why I'm most interested in it, as though I love "playing" WoW, I can't actually stand the meta game of WoW and all the design decisions that go along with being a 'wow' game.

Re: Aion (new MMO) – January 29, 2009 6:21 PM (edited 1/29/09 1:21 PM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
Yeah, I didn't really like WoW a lot. As you say, the meta game and the design decisions weren't great - I found the look and feel very cartoony, and not in a good way. Like I said, for me the big question will be the UI. CoH had an excellent UI, and the UI is definitely my most hated part of FFXI.

Mind you, even if this game is everything I want out of an MMO, there's still only a 30% chance I'll even try it.

Talraen (11:16 AM): That, and I've learned to parse through Tozzi's contempt
Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh