The Gamer Corner
We play games alright. They're just with your mind. Or are they?
Lost your password?

How is a duck like a job

How is a duck like a job – April 30, 2009 6:08 PM (edited 4/30/09 2:08 PM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
Rating: /images/autobot.gif + 2
So I need a way to make the word "Duck" mean "Job" so we can call the job scheduler the "duck launcher". I'm open to ideas. Acronyms are probably easiest, but I'll take any ideas right now. I'm pretty stumped on this one.

Re: How is a duck like a job – April 30, 2009 6:14 PM (edited 4/30/09 2:14 PM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Rating: Not Rated
Are you going for a positive or negative connotation? You could say it's a duck launcher because the jobs run really fowl. But then, you'd also probably be Steve at that point.

Re: How is a duck like a job – April 30, 2009 6:25 PM (edited 4/30/09 2:25 PM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
maybe...i'm really hoping for something that i can reply with "well, it launches ducks, you know Distinct Usage Coordinated Komponents" except that K doesn't really work there. Really, it's the K that's the problem. DUC is pretty easy to work with. It doesn't have to be an acronym tho, as long as it fits in that sentence.

Re: How is a duck like a job – April 30, 2009 6:28 PM (edited 4/30/09 2:28 PM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Rating: /images/autobot.gif + 2
Now, a close source to me informs me that this photo right here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Lameduck.gif
is the lame duck position in a tango. Now look at that picture. Does that image in anyway resemble your batch cycle?

Re: How is a duck like a job – May 1, 2009 11:31 AM (edited 5/1/09 7:31 AM)
Debonair (259 posts) Lurker Extraordinaire
If we take it to a different context though which is that of a video game, a lame duck is someone who's still in the game but has no chance what-so-ever of winning. Does this apply to the batch cycle?

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh