The Gamer Corner
You can't please all of the people all of the time, and you can't please Dowd at all
Balerion
Lost your password?

Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!)

( 1| 2) Next Page
Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 5:28 PM (edited 7/14/09 1:28 PM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
Rating: /images/autobot.gif + 1
In the interest of starting as an established party, here's a thread where we can figure out our collective background. I'll start off with a general idea of my character's background, and a few potential hooks, and maybe we can figure out something that works for everyone?

I'm going to play the razorclaw shifter panther shaman (Brian and I worked through the metaphysical and ecological issues implied by that choice to my satisfaction). I see my character as a bit of a dreamer raised on stories of a better time "when we used to run and hunt great beasts" and such. He trained with some old shaman who nobody else takes seriously, and has some half formed plan to seek Fame Fortune and A Better Life for the Tribe (TM) via the Delvers. Sort of a kid from the ghetto looking to make it as a rock star and help his people out.

As far as story hooks, he'd probably hang around delver recruiting events, and may even have tried out a few times (depending if it's the type of thing you can easily do more than once). Anyone else with an interest in becoming a Delver could have met him there and they could be training together. He's also got a street kid/ghetto background, so he could meet up with any other street dwellers at an early age.

What's everybody else got?

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 5:54 PM (edited 7/14/09 1:54 PM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
Rating: Not Rated
This is pending a longer discussion with Brian, but here it goes:

So, at the moment my character is a Warforged Warlord (though the term used will not be Warforged, Brian will come up with something).

Warforged are not unknown, but still fairly rare artifacts to bring back from ruin sites. In the past it was determined that they have a very poor residuum yield and as a result they are usually pressed into hard labor or as household servants as slaves. My character was a surprisingly weak model, so he was used as a hand servant for his lord. While out one day the family was attacked and my character picked up a sword and through remarkable and surprising skill was able to save the life of the lord and his young heir. He was examined after this unusual event and was shown to possess a greater degree of intelligence than the average of his kind, though still lacking the free will that makes a true sentient creature. As a result he was given greater autonomy and trusted with increasingly complex tasks.

The basic idea is that he was the "leader robot" for a squat of robotic defenders assigned to some important site in the old world. He was dormant until recovered and reactivated on a delve (presumably his memory is not intact). His own motivations over time will be to find out what happened to the other members of his squad and discover their original purpose, fulfilling it if it is still possible.

As far as being in the party - the easy way is for everyone to have been hired by someone else (either my lord or a business associate) and I'm along protecting his interests.

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 5:59 PM (edited 7/14/09 1:59 PM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Well my background is still percolating, as it consists of two parts that have absolutely no connection to one another, but in the interests of getting something rolling, here's what I have so far. (The first part, that is, since it's the part that makes any sense.)

My character is a human ranger who grew up in a noble family of little relevance. My father is a low-ranking officer in the local military, but my family hasn't had any real wealth for generations and is bordering on irrelevance. They still cling to their nobility, largely because their title is the only thing that sets them apart from commoners at this point. Frustrated with being irrelevant, I decided to take my training and whatnot and go do something useful rather that continue a futile tradition of military service: become a Delver. This wasn't a decision discussed with my family, and they really don't approve of the profession, though they are kind of OK with the potential for great wealth.

Since deciding this and leaving my family, I haven't advertised the fact that I'm technically noble. I've spent my time training to become a delver, trying to perfect my fighting style (which is very stylish!) and learn the ways of the world. I'm not completely naive (anymore), but also not really the most worldly kid that's ever dreamed of becoming successful.

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:01 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:01 PM)
Cyris (240 posts) Tapped Out
To add to that, Warforged are known to be mostly incapable of fighting. They can hold and swing weapons, but lack the spark of cruel understanding of biological life needed to hurt someone in an intentional, thought out way. As such, they are used as labourers or sevents as Matt said. Matt's character is one of the few that seems that part of his design allowed him that spark of insight that allows for combat.

I would like to add that they all have free will, but they seem highly willing to follow orders and do not express much desire to move beyond their lot in life. Matt seems to be one that longs for more.

Warforged will be something like "Ancient-men", or Machines. I dunno...

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:05 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:05 PM)
Was your character born/raised in the wilds with his tribe, or in a city with his tribe? I thought he was more into the wilds then civilization?

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:06 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:06 PM)
Ferrites?
Automata?
Homunculus?
Rustmen?

(btw, type in "metal man" in Google, it gives you Mega Man II music shockingly high in the search results)

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:07 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:07 PM)
What is the part that doesn't connect? This sounds pretty solid. Last in a line of dwindling nobles takes a shot at Delving to bring fame and fortune!

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:09 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:09 PM)
Want to set something up with us meeting at a delver training/competition event and hitting it off? Could set up some nice dynamic tension, as my character probably has no kind thoughts for nobility. We could have been training together for some time at this point.

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:11 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:11 PM)
Everything I posted is fine, I didn't post the stuff I can't yet justify. Which involves looking for something. I don't see this guy being the "fame and fortune" type.

--
Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:17 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:17 PM)
I was thinking my character would be a city kid who took to hanging out with this kooky old man that nobody really believes in. I figure the tribe as a whole would be mostly in the city, either stealing or selling crafts and/or labor, with connections to groups of hunters and trappers trying to ply their trade outside the city. I figure there would be some kind of intra-tribal wealth sharing/communist economy with a more barter based extra-tribal economy supporting it. There's probably a rift between the city dweller members of the tribe and the ones still out in the wilds, but not such a wide gap that they don't grudgingly acknowledge that they need each other to survive.

He'd probably have been out with the hunting parties a few times, "because it's a good thing for a young man to do, now go do it!", but it should have been clear pretty quickly that they didn't want him there and he didn't want to be there.

This is malleable if needed, but such are my initial thoughts.

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:18 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:18 PM)
old family legend? Found some reference to something in some ancient and basically worthless tome that has been kept as one of the few trappings of nobility your family still has?

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:21 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:21 PM)
Ah, I like it. It sounds very desperate and grim. Perfect.

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:25 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:25 PM)
I considered the old family legend angle, but I dunno. I feel like my family shouldn't be important enough to have one of those, plus they'd be more likely to be approving. I'd rather go with hearing some crazy rumor and latching onto it just because in this world you want to latch on to hope where you can find it. Except in such a way as to involve the rest of the party.

--
Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:27 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:27 PM)
I don't think it's bad to start with what you've got and find the long term goal in game.

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:28 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:28 PM)
It's not bad, but it's not what I have in mind for my character.

--
Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:32 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:32 PM)
So how about if someone else works such a legend into their background and you latch onto it? That could cover your requirements, connect the two parts of your background, and link up another party member.

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 6:33 PM (edited 7/14/09 2:33 PM)
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm hoping for, and that's why I mentioned it.

--
Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 7:09 PM (edited 7/14/09 3:09 PM)
Draethor (651 posts) Captain Hook
I'm basically playing the same char as before, a longtooth shifter (wolf) warden. He was a member of a shifter tribe in the wilds that believes the eternal darkness was the coming of the promised age. He was exiled from the tribe at a fairly young age for unknown reasons (perhaps the tribe's shaman prophesied that he was lead to their downfall). He has been a homeless wanderer since them, and sees the Delvers as the only way to make a place for himself in the world.

As far as connections with other characters, maybe he was saved by a ranger (Dowd) and decided to join him for lack of a better option.

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 7:11 PM (edited 7/14/09 3:11 PM)
I'm really not that kind of ranger. Wink

--
Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 7:24 PM (edited 7/14/09 3:24 PM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Rating: /images/autobot.gif + 1
Here's my background post!

Being born into such a tiny spot of light as Auroro in the sea of darkness is like being born to a prolonged death sentence. The town has always been in a bad way because of it's small size from before the darkness descended, and the dwindling amount of truly devout people consider it a not so minor miracle that Auroro has survived as long as it has. When a town teeters on the brink of destruction for so long, it turns the people into animals. You can take my word for it. My whole life I grew up as an orphan living on the streets. I never knew who my parents were, but that doesn't really bother me. That knowledge wouldn't help me get food for the day anyway. Besides, they were probably either cut down for being too far ahead of a bread line that was rapidly running out of food, or just plain dumped me for not waiting another mouth to feed. These are common stories in the orphan lined streets of Auroro.

The funny thing is, Auroro was probably one of the richest towns left in Twilight. Half a day's walk away was one of the juiciest dives a Delver could hope to mine. The problem is, it's also filled with some of the nastiest monsters in Twilight as well. Every now and then someone would take leave of the senses and make a run at the dive. After all, it was better to die quickly trying to grab a piece of fame then slowly with an empty belly. Typically any kind of funeral rights were held for the person 24 hours after they left since this was the amount of time it would have taken the person to regain their senses and turn around.

Everyone had just assumed that the Delvers had written off the Auroro dive as too costly to take on, until he came one day. Erik Byron and his team of Delvers. The six of them came completely unexpected one day, tossing out food to the people like it was garbage they were just glad someone was able to take off their hands. I tried praying to the Gods once and decided religion just wasn't for me since no food miraculously arrived that day, but when Erik Byron rode though town I thought to myself, "This is how the Gods must look." It was clear that they were headed for the dive and I decided there that I would be the one hold the funeral rights for these men the next day.

At dawn the next day, Byron and his men rode back to town, brimming with more residuum than this town has seen in decades (or so I heard). Somehow Byron and his trusted men had been able to work together to get through the Auroro dive when no other man has been able to. Working together... it was such a foreign concept for me, an orphan who watched people cut each other down for scraps every day. Eric couldn't stay long. They had to report back to Delves I suppose, but they made sure to leave a large amount of residuum for the town to survive on for a good number of years. Of course, that was assuming the people didn't descend on the residuum like starved dogs to hoard it for themselves.

I knew what had to be done. Being dragonborn, I was always one of the larger, more intimidating orphans in Auroro. I put that to use, getting the orphans to work with me instead of having them squabble amongst ourselves. Together we were able to take back the residuum given to the town and put it to fair use. Where the town would have continued to die had selfish personal interest been allowed to rule, teamwork once again proved to be the stronger option. I knew then that I needed to dedicate my life to joining the points of light in the darkness together until we were able to bring about a new sun on the earth. This is the only way flickering candles such as Auroro would never be in danger of going out again, and the Delvers were the perfect organization to make those dreams come true.

( 1| 2) Next Page
Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh