The Gamer Corner
You spoony bard!
Lost your password?

Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!)

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 7:39 PM (edited 7/14/09 3:39 PM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: Not Rated
I like Cuzzo's background, and I want to work mine in with it. The question is, when and why did you start adventuring and ditch the band of orphans? Did you eventually leave them in charge and travel elsewhere? My thinking is, uninspired by my family's contentment with being irrelevant but clinging to their titles, I was looking for some path to follow, and your character showed up. (I like how apparently none of us have names yet, btw Wink) And I was all like "wow, this is just some guy, and he's all inspiring and stuff!" and we take it from there? I dunno, my brain is kind of off at the moment. But is that at all in line with what you're thinking?

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 14, 2009 7:45 PM (edited 7/14/09 3:45 PM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
So, yeah. I purposely left off the story at that point because I felt ending with "... and then I hooked into the party" would have broken the mood Smile But I would have eventually left Auroro because I realized that Delvers, in addition to having Erik Byron who is totally awesome cool, is the best organization left in the world to help me realize the goal of pulling everyone together again. I am assuming that I even left with a band of orphans who wanted to follow my lead and join the Delvers as well. It's not unreasonable that while traveling to the Delver, or out and about training I ran into you, who would have been alone, and added you to the group.

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 15, 2009 6:28 PM (edited 7/15/09 2:28 PM)
Just to recap what was said on the chat and make sure we're all on the same page here, we progress from the character's background stories to being a party thusly:

A group of orphans and I leave Auroro figuring we're ready to become Delvers and are ready to start making our difference on the world at large. As we get closer to the Delver's main encampment, we run into varied individuals who are traveling by themselves who also happen to have business to take up with the Delvers. I convince them that traveling together in a group has a better chance of everyone surviving the harsh wilderness of Twilight than if we went own ways. Each one agrees and joins. Thus the party was formed. This group became fast friends as they learned to rely on each other in order to make it from town to town. The first adventure is going to pick up either as we're just within plot miles of the Delver's encampment, just as we reach the encampment, or just after we've been granted membership to the Delvers. Sound about right to everyone?

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 16, 2009 6:06 PM (edited 7/16/09 2:06 PM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
I hate to nit pick, but I have a few issues with this.

1 - I didn't get the impression that there was a "Delver main camp". I thought there were more regional tryouts or something along those lines. (Brian, care to comment?)
2 - How does this work in Matt's or Steve's character, who haven't given any indication of wanting to join the delvers
3 - The "we all happened to meet up on the road and become friends" bit reeks of some serious coincidence, not much more likely than we met in a bar and decided to adventure together.
4 - I think this is glossing over the relevant part of why we're working as a group. I mean, what's your message/goal here, other than "let's all work together"? Not that there's anything wrong with "let's all work together", but as a party uniting force, it seems like it doesn't so much tie together specific characters ad could be used as an excuse to drag just about anybody in. Personally, I'd like to see some shared goal we can work together towards, other than becoming delvers, since if the goal is becoming delvers the party runs into cohesion issues when we accomplish that, which we might expect to do sooner rather than later.

I think it might be more useful to try to weave specific connections between characters. For example, Dowd has the idea of wanting to be questing for something (if he hasn't dropped that) - it would be easy for either Matt to incorporate legends of a suitable nature into his backstory. If Steve's character was expelled from his tribe, he could have washed up with my tribe at some point and left with me, perhaps because he felt as a longtooth he would never really be treated as an equal among the razorclaws. That leaves us with two pairs wanting access to delver resources but without clear plans for how to get into the organization, and a charismatic orphan looking for potential delvers to lead. That sounds like a much more reasonable match. Of course, if you wanted to work in some other, more direct links, we can do that too.

Just my thoughts. If everyone else is cool with the "we met up on the road and became fast friends" we can do that too.

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 16, 2009 6:10 PM (edited 7/16/09 2:10 PM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
I think now you're just whoring for points Smile

As to my character - I actually very, very much want to be a Delver as it's probably the only way I'll ever have a chance to explore my own origins. Brian and I actually worked up something last night where Warforged who are found deactivated actually briefly remember and speak about the time they were last active in before the system refresh wipes their memory. I'll be trying to talk to as many as possible at the moment of awakening in order to find out more about this world. It's entirely possible that a suitable legend for Dowd will pop up around this.

I think it's going to take us a little while before we're actually Delvers, I'm under the suspicion that we'll have formed a strong enough bond and enough shared goals at that point to keep working together. . . .

Not that this is a bad idea - if we can tie each other together a little better now I'm fine with that, I'm just not terribly worried about it either.

Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 16, 2009 6:29 PM (edited 7/16/09 2:29 PM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Yeah, I've moved on, background-wise. Being inspired by Cuzzo's character is enough for me. Basically, the original idea was to be disillusioned at the inaction of others (specifically the Eladrin elders, in the original concept), which has been replaced by the same thing with my noble family clinging to the past, and Cuzzo's example being proactive and not a huge waste of time.

In any case, it's really up to everyone individually to come up with reasons we want to be together. If there's nothing in Cuzzo's background that grabs you, come up with something else. It's more helpful than nitpicking at least. Wink

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Twilight Party Background (I'll start it because I need the points!) – July 16, 2009 7:03 PM (edited 7/16/09 3:03 PM)
Yeah, that post was meant to be the start of a talking point for perhaps better way for us all to come together. I'm fine with going into something more complex, but I was offering something simplistic that we could fall back on should no one come up with anything better before the 25th.

1) IIRC, Brian said a most of the larger towns have Delver outposts, but there is a central Delver agency. Whether that agency is a town to itself or just the largest outpost in a large city, I don't know. I would think Auroro was too small of a town to host a Delver outpost, so my character is moving at least somewhere else to go join.

2) Steve would have to post a background to determine if this idea holds up or not, so until he does I'm hijacking his character and saying it fits fine Smile

3) Of course it reeks of coincidence. It's 5 random people with 5 completely different backgrounds coming together. The only thing that seems to run as a constant through all (or most) backgrounds is a desire to join the Delvers, so meeting up on the road to a major outpost seemed the least cheese to me without going into retooling other people's backgrounds into something else. Hey, maybe Steve can be one of the other orphans!

4) Actually "Let's all work together" is my main motivation. My long term goal is going to be to try to unite all the towns back together to pool their resources for the common good so smaller town such as Auroro don't go under the radar without support again. Joining and gaining ranks in the Delvers is the mid term goal since I see them as the best situation organization to pull off such goals. And the short term, immediate goals is pulling people who are wandering alone through Twilight together as a small band to help each other out. I'm picture my journey to be much like this:

"Hark fellow traveler who is all alone. Why not join our group? For together we have the skills to hunt for food and water, and guards to watch out backs at night, and warriors to help protect the others from monsters."
"Gee kindly sir, that sounds like a great idea, and since we're traveling in the same direction anyway, I can't see why I wouldn't take you up on your offer."
"Ack! Monster attack!"
*Owf* *Pow* *Bamf*
"Well new face, it seems as if our common experience that put our lives in the hands of one another has really made us close friends! (and level2). Seems like we're destined to be traveling companions for a long time!"

See? It's a perfectly reasonable way to get the party together.

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh