The Gamer Corner
I blame you for this Tozzi
Cuzzdog
Lost your password?

Favorite Fantasy Villain?

( 1| 2) Next Page
Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 4:11 PM (edited 10/5/09 12:11 PM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
Rating: /images/autobot.gif + 1
Who are some of the people you love to hate?

I think my #1 fantasy villain is Jaime Lannister from Ice and Fire.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 4:18 PM (edited 10/5/09 12:18 PM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: Not Rated
Sephiroth!

I kid, I kid.

Um... I don't really like villains. They're so.. villainous! Does Hrathen (from Elantris) count?

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 4:22 PM (edited 10/5/09 12:22 PM)
I don't remember who he is . . . was he the guy who was the leader of the church? If so then I could get behind that statement.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 4:25 PM (edited 10/5/09 12:25 PM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
He was the third PoV character, the priest. Not the actual head of the church. And frankly, not very villainous. (Which is both why it's questionable and why I like him Wink)

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 4:51 PM (edited 10/5/09 12:51 PM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
The Lady, from Black Company.

Evil and ambitious, schemes within schemes, and the end, very human. Very well done overall.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 4:54 PM (edited 10/5/09 12:54 PM)
Yeah, I was thinking about some of the Black Company stuff too. I would love to list one of the Taken (probably Soulcatcher), but don't feel like any of their stories were fleshed out enough for that. There's always just vague hints about unspeakable things in their pasts.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 4:58 PM (edited 10/5/09 12:58 PM)
The Taken fall into the same category as the Ringwraiths - they're too much embodied evil to really be good villains in my opinion. Although, at least they are less completely enslaved than the Ringwriaths, so there's some potential there, but yeah, not well enough developed really.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 5:13 PM (edited 10/5/09 1:13 PM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Rating: /images/autobot.gif + 1
Fantasy villains are hard to come up with because the fantasy genre seems to have more of a villainous side controlled by some aloof emperor type figure rather than a single villainous character that gets flushed out well. If we expanded the question to Sci-Fi/Fantasy, I'd have to say that Sylar is one of the most recent villains that always catches my attention. The Operative from Serenity was pretty engaging too.

Keeping it just in Fantasy though, I guess I'd have to go with... David "Magic Pants" Bowie from Labyrinth.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 5:38 PM (edited 10/5/09 1:38 PM)
For Sci-Fi, as I said in chat, Baron Harkonnen is a definite contender. He's not super powered, isn't directing some deep shadow conspiracy spanning centuries, isn't a mysterious force; he's just a bad man, with a lot of political power and an army. Sure, he gloats over the destruction of Duke Leto, but that's just the icing on the cake of his grand plan to reclaim Arakis. In his own, way, he's more believable than Paul I-will-subvert-this-entire-civilization-to-avenge-my-father Antredes.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 5:53 PM (edited 10/5/09 1:53 PM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
I'm gonna go against type here and say my favorite villain is Javert, from Les Miserables. Cause committing suicide because of a moral quandary is pretty much the way I want to die.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 5:58 PM (edited 10/5/09 1:59 PM)
Rating: /images/autobot.gif + 2
Clair, Dowd only has Autobots and Decepticons as choices for rating posts, so I had to go out and find this custom icon to rate your post with:

http://paunchstevenson.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/autobot-symbol-sad-333x310.jpg

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 6:00 PM (edited 10/5/09 2:00 PM)
e-Badge of Pride.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 6:08 PM (edited 10/5/09 2:08 PM)
Wow...don't take this the wrong way, but that's the most whiny emo thing I've heard all year. And by "wrong way", I mean as any sort of endorsement or approval, just to be clear.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 6:13 PM (edited 10/5/09 2:15 PM)
I don't get how moral quandary can be considered emo, though the suicide thing is a little (way) over the top. It's crazy French people!

Actually I do get how the suicide is emo, fine, though again, it's over the top. But where the heck does whiny come in? And why does that invalidate a really good villain who actually does end up questioning his life mission to the point of suicide? Isn't this exactly the situation that the Operative from Firefly finds himself in, and he reacts in almost the exact same way (except without the actual killing himself part)?

Note to self: Never bring up French stuff again. Are we all calling Sartre emo now too? HAS IT COME TO THIS!?!

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 6:22 PM (edited 10/5/09 2:22 PM)
Oh, no, he's a great villain. It's the "...pretty much the way I want to die." bit that I'm mocking. If that's true, you've got some serious issues dude, and should consider converting to Catholicism.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 6:23 PM (edited 10/5/09 2:23 PM)
No no, see, I'm totally down with Javert, but:

Someone wrote...
I'm gonna go against type here and say my favorite villain is Javert, from Les Miserables. Cause committing suicide because of a moral quandary is pretty much the way I want to die.

That bold part is what makes baby Optimus Prime cry.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 6:36 PM (edited 10/5/09 2:36 PM)
Wait, really?

Maybe it's just me but I'd settle for a life lived believing in something so strongly that the loss of it merited acceptance that you weren't going to find anything better, and therefore, should end your life.

Of course if I was wishing on a falling star, I'd say I want to live a life where I believed in something that strongly, died of natural causes after 200 or so years, and ascended to heaven to find God sitting there waiting for me and saying "Well done believe in that there belief. That was the right choice. Here's eternity, go enjoy yourself."

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 6:57 PM (edited 10/5/09 2:57 PM)
Yeah, I'll take open-mindedness and adaptability to new ideas and situations over fanatical belief, there. It's probably not the easier path, but it's the more interesting one. You really should consider joining the Catholic church - the whole institution is based on that philosophy. I mean, hell, it was 1997 before they admitted they might have done wrong by Galileo.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 7:13 PM (edited 10/5/09 3:13 PM)
I think Clair might be half Catholic - the rest of us were raised Catholic. It's Long Island, after all.

Re: Favorite Fantasy Villain? – October 5, 2009 7:23 PM (edited 10/5/09 3:23 PM)
I was raised neither Catholic or Jewish, but yea, I sort of lean Catholic. Though I tap into the Jewish guilt.

( 1| 2) Next Page
Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh