The Gamer Corner
Nice going, jackass, you broke it.
Lost your password?

Roleplaying Scenario Ideas

Roleplaying Scenario Ideas – May 6, 2010 1:53 PM (edited 5/6/10 9:53 AM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
Rating: Not Rated
So my weekly D&D group and I were talking last night before the game got started about some of the ideas we've had for roleplaying games that we'd like to run, but haven't found the time to do, or are still too tied down to our current games to get to. I thought I'd post the ideas we talked about and see if any of you guys had game ideas that you've been sitting on that might be kind of cool.

1) World War II Game! . . . in which the players are members of the 101st Airborne who have parachuted behind enemy lines and have to get back to complete a mission and get back to US controlled territory. One of the other guys suggested that playing members of the resistance might be more fun in terms of roleplaying opportunities, feeling that the initial scenario might be a bit light on social interaction. Either way, we were thinking about using the system from Boot Hill, the western game we had played, to run this, as it is very gritty.

2) Rock and Roll Game! We've been joking for a while now about starting a band in our game, just to vex our DM, but honestly the idea of having a music-centric RPG experience has a lot of appeal. We all felt it should probably be rendered in a White Wolf system - either Exalted (and you've got a whole new spin on "rock gods") or Mage, in which everyone plays Cult of Ecstasy members and they go on tour to a variety of locations as a cover to visit these sites of arcane power and try to piece together clues and items they need to achieve some yet to be determined goal. In the end we were leaning towards the Mage iteration as it allows you to set it in the modern world and use modern music without it being out of place, though obviously there's some inherent awesomeness to Solar Exalted playing Queen.

3) Space Opera Game! Truth be told there's nothing here that's terribly specific or exciting, it would just be fun to play a traditional space opera, maybe not Star Wars (or maybe yes Star Wars, who knows?) but something in which you have laser guns and space ships. I'm torn between whether I'd rather run something in the vein of a B5 galaxy or maybe something more Buck Rogers themed. I think I lean towards the latter . . . a sci-fi galaxy in which everything is art decco and men were real men and fired their laser blasters from their hips in order to shoot the aliens threatening their women.

Re: Roleplaying Scenario Ideas – May 6, 2010 1:58 PM (edited 5/6/10 9:58 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Man, WWII is so played out. At least make like, a Korean War Game or something. Be original! (But do not, under any circumstances, make a WWI game.) Actually, this makes me wonder why there isn't a Tom Clancy-branded RPG system. Or is there?

At any rate it does make you wonder why fantasy is so ubiquitous in the tabletop RPG space. Although my gut reaction says that has a lot to do with melee weapons being easier to handle on a small scale. ("My .50 caliber sniper rifle has a range of 1,056 squares...")

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Roleplaying Scenario Ideas – May 6, 2010 2:10 PM (edited 5/6/10 10:10 AM)
Well, I think it was WWII just because we were talking about the HBO miniseries "The Pacific" just before we segued into it.

It's true though, genre RPGs do seem to be a minority of the market.

Re: Roleplaying Scenario Ideas – May 6, 2010 2:27 PM (edited 5/6/10 10:27 AM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Here's another idea I just came up with: Take the exalted rules, put it into a modern setting, and run a super hero RPG with it.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Mouse Guard just came out with a RPG rule book. Just sayin'.

Re: Roleplaying Scenario Ideas – May 6, 2010 2:30 PM (edited 5/6/10 10:30 AM)
The Mouse Guard RPG has actually been out for a couple of years now. I think for the past two Christmases I've considered getting it for Brian if I had him as a Secret Santa.

The Exalted Modern idea is kicked around from time to time as well, though nobody ever seems to jump to the superhero idea, which I think is a nice spin on it. They generally replace Archery with Firearms and Ride with Drive, but otherwise most of it ports over fairly well.

Seriously though, do you guys have any games that you've thought about running but haven't gotten around to?

Re: Roleplaying Scenario Ideas – May 6, 2010 2:42 PM (edited 5/6/10 11:11 AM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Well, as I said in a previous thread here, I had the idea of a gladiator based campaign where each session starts with a team management section and ends with an epic battle. In the team management section, the players would go around and get tips on the upcoming fights, try to get alliances, cripple the competition, etc... and then the epic fight at the end would be influenced with bonuses or penalties based on what the players did before hand. Cash and equipment would be handed out in the end based on how spectacularly they preformed in the fight. I picture it as a cross between WWE and Ender's Game. It seems like it would be a nice format if you just wanted to a shorter campaign where you can jump into something non-committal with a mid level character.

Edit: I'm gonna rant about this more because now you've got me thinking about it.

In terms of D&D, you really could do a level 1-30 campaign and just say at the end of each fight/night the players go up a level. So the trick to longevity would be making interesting fights for each day. With this kind of format it'd be easy to come up with any kind of crazy battle ground and just have the players whisked away to specialized battle grounds. I guess you'd start out simple.
Fights in a forest
fights with multiple platforms/tiers
fights with lava pits,
fights on a slick incline

and then you'd get a bit more crazy with the terrain
fights in a moving maze where you have to track down your opponents without getting lost or separated.
fights on large flat rocks balanced on stalagmites so if the weight of everyone on a rock is too far shifted, the rock falls
fights where the room can rotate in any direction at any given time

And you could have fights where the the end goal isn't to kill everyone
Battles where you need to hold a position against waves of enemies
Capture the flag

Re: Roleplaying Scenario Ideas – May 26, 2010 2:26 PM (edited 5/26/10 10:26 AM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
I'm sure I have other stuff if I think about it, but one idea I've had for a while is a game centered around characters with past lives fighting some long lived villain, a lich or vampire or some such. I'd stat out past-life versions of the characters, and periodically do sessions in the past, with their past life characters. Their actions in those sessions would impact how the game develops in the present - for example, there might be a scene where they're trying to stop him from completing some arcane ritual to make an enchanted weapon. If they do well there, he wouldn't have that weapon in the present. Also, since you can pick and choose the flashbacks, it gives a way to inject an action scene into an otherwise long sequence of non-action scenes.

1 user viewing | Refresh