The Gamer Corner
No, I don't think anyone has attributed any quotes on this site
Talraen
Lost your password?

Battle ideas part 3

Poll Results (voting in this poll has ended)
Acid Lake
0% 0 votes
Death Clock
60% 3 votes
Creeping Destruction
40% 2 votes
TOTAL 100% 5 votes
Re: Battle ideas part 3 – July 21, 2010 1:06 PM (edited 7/21/10 9:07 AM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Rating: Not Rated
I'm not committed to there being a fixed 12 numbers and probably will reduce the number of sections some. The number of sections is largely going to be a 1 to 1 correlation with the number of people in the battle. So maybe there will only be 8 sections (4 players, 4 monsters). The number of sections may also depend on how many interesting traps I can think up Wink

I'm less concerned with the rule logic on having the second hand sweep per turn. If there are 6 initiatives (which would never be reduced during the battle), that just means the hand is effectively sweeping one section per second. The difference between sweeping all 6 sections (or whatever) all at once at the top of the turn vs one section per turn is that in the one section per turn you can have the people with the later initiative ticks react to the sweeper as it's approaching. I guess it doesn't make a big difference either way, just that it would be more dramatic/exciting to see that second hand sweep quickly and steadily rather than have it just do one big jump all at once.

Edit responding to Dowd's edit: So you're in favor of the minute hand doing one constant attack (a trip and/or drag attack) rather than being zone based like hour hand?

Re: Battle ideas part 3 – July 21, 2010 1:10 PM (edited 7/21/10 9:10 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Yeah I feel like it might be a bit too complicated and random if you have to worry about, what would that be, like 16 different attacks? Or even 8+4 or something like that. Plus I like the idea of the hand itself being the obstacle (so it's got blades and hooks on it or whatnot), while the other hand triggers traps. It even makes sense from a clock perspective, since the minute hand is long enough to reach the outside, while the hour hand just points at the outside.

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Battle ideas part 3 – July 21, 2010 1:14 PM (edited 7/21/10 9:14 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Also tactically I don't see how having the faster hand move six times a round is really any different than having it move six zones once per round - you can't act between turns anyway, so for any given character the effect is the same. But it could potentially give certain characters an advantage over others on a fairly arbitrary basis.

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Battle ideas part 3 – July 21, 2010 2:29 PM (edited 7/21/10 10:29 AM)
Ok, I yield to the logic of having the minute hand swing all at once. I think I'm also committed to having this second arm be a beam the players have to avoid rather than having it set off secondary zone effects. Mostly because I'm not sure I could come up with three different good related effects for 8 different zone Smile

Here's what I'm thinking the mechanics for the beam are going to be:
The beam itself will be waist high with hooks and metal netting dangling underneath it. When the beam moves, players will have to make an athletics or acrobatic check to get over it.
DC 20+: Over the beam with no problems
DC 15-19: Over the beam, but tripped
DC 10-14: Caught in the net. Player is dragged one full zone and is released on the other side of the beam prone
DC 1-9: Caught in the net. Player is dragged one full zone and is released on the same side of the beam prone. This means the player is still in the path of the beam and will need to make another check to avoid it next round.

Assuming the circle is 8 sections, how far should the arm swing in a round? What about making it random (like 1d6 sections)?

Re: Battle ideas part 3 – July 26, 2010 3:21 PM (edited 7/26/10 11:21 AM)
Ok, since I got no responses to the above, I'm going to assume that's all awesome, including the idea about making the minute hand swing 1d6 sections.

Now I need 8 decent traps. And since I'm running the scenario tonight, I need them today Smile Here's what I'm thinking so far (in no particular order):

1) Area becomes super heated. Everyone takes 1d10 fire damage and make a saving throw to avoid dropping everything being held.
2) Area becomes pitch black. Anyone with darkvision not effected. Automatically fail the check to avoid the minute hand.
3) Area floor is filled with acid ooze. Everyone is slowed in this area. Saving throw to avoid ongoing acid damage 5
4) Small spikes shoot up from the floor piercing everyone's feet. +9 vs ref to hit; 1d10 damage + immobile. Immobile people will automatically fail the check to avoid the minute hand.
5) Something something, something... Weakness!
6) Walls shoot up at the borders of the area, cutting off everyone trapped in the there from the rest of the batter for a turn. Anyone caught by the minute hand when trapped in this section will take 1d10 damage as the arm smashes them against the wall instead of dragging them.
7) Magic spotlights illuminate each creature in this section. While in the spotlights, the create gives combat advantage to everyone else. These creatures are also marked by the clock till the end of the fight, increasing the DC to avoid the minute hand by 2.
8) Neutral monster is released into the arena.

How does this list sound? Should anything be removed? Number 5 in particular needs a little sprucing up.

Re: Battle ideas part 3 – July 26, 2010 3:57 PM (edited 7/26/10 11:57 AM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
I would not have #2 auto avoid the minute hand, just make it harder, but otherwise it looks fine.

Re: Battle ideas part 3 – July 26, 2010 5:02 PM (edited 7/26/10 1:02 PM)
Ok, I'll change that to be +5 difficulty to avoiding the arm in the darkness room.

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh