The Gamer Corner
if ($this->logged["id"] == 1) $_SESSION["cool"]= true;
Talraen
Lost your password?

Should the chat be disabled by default for new users, and invisible without a login?

Poll Results (voting in this poll has ended)
Yes
20% 1 vote
No
80% 4 votes
TOTAL 100% 5 votes
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: Not Rated
I've noticed a number of people, including people we know, don't like coming to this site because of the chat. Whether it's annoying, intimidating, makes them feel like they don't belong, or whatever, it's an issue. I was planning to address this issue if and when I ever rewrite the site engine, but what the hell, it's not that big a fix. The fix would be to hide the chat unless a user specifically turns it on, which would also apply to the site when you're not logged in.

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Debonair (259 posts) Lurker Extraordinaire
My response would be meh, except for the fact that it means that if I'm in the lab I need to actually log in to see if somethings going on. that means more effort on my part which I am never for.

chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
The vast majority of the activity on the site is from the chat. disbling it by default is likely to make this place look dead to new users, which can't be good.

Syllabic (4:14 PM): tozzi are you like dowd's jiminy cricket
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
In principle I agree. However in practice most of the people who won't come here are people I know and who avoid this site specifically because of the chat. Not that disabling it by default will really help that, but it does make the site seem much more exclusive.

--
Debonair (259 posts) Lurker Extraordinaire
Could always just make it a sign up option. Do you want chat? yes/no

c0deblooded (28 posts) Canadian
I didn't realize many other people came to this site. I agree with Tozzi's reasoning that the place would be dead. There are people who do pop in from time to time, and even sometimes pop into the conversation in chat (the other WoW player I cant remember the name of off the top of my head comes to mind). He said some pretty interesting stuff, and besides dowd yelling at him for generating the "NO TALKING ABOUT WOW RULE", he was pretty welcomed I think. If someone feels alienated by chat... well... then they are weird and shouldn't be here anyways. =P

chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
I mean, if you think it's a big problem, go ahead and disable it for new users. It's not like it'll impact us in any way. I just don't know what you think they're going to do here other than chat; I mean, no offense, but this is a glorified IRC channel for the most part.

Syllabic (4:14 PM): tozzi are you like dowd's jiminy cricket
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
What about the chat drives them away?

Us

--
Then I say leave it on - if we're driving them away then it's not like they're going to suddenly run into a different population on the forums instead of on the chat.

Yeah, but (for example) I can't even get some people to come here to give feedback on Campaign Suicide because they don't like the site. If not for the fact that I intend the site to have an independent login, I would make a new 4LN site at forums.campaignsuicide.com and put the threads there, just so I don't have to give this URL. Plus every time I link someone here they seem to think I'm trying to trick them into supporting my site somehow. It's gotten pretty ridiculous. Hell, Cuzzo didn't even list the possibility of GAGG people just posting here, and has gone silent since I did. Does that have anything to do with the chat? I don't know, but whatever it is, this site is anathema to outsiders.

--
Well, way back in the day (when it's initial incarnation was an EZ Board), the site's original purpose was to give the members of this group a place to keep in touch as we grew more distant. So I can't say I'm terribly troubled about not attracting outsiders.

That being said, you've got 4 votes against and 1 in favor. If the poll mattered then you've got your answer from the general group. If this was more a case of knowing what you wanted to do but hoping you'd get support first, then go ahead and do it anyway. Reading the responses it doesn't seem like anyone here would be terribly troubled by what you want to do, just that we don't see the point in it. I think probably Deb and Steve are the only two regular lurkers, so they're probably the only ones this affects.