The Gamer Corner
Whoring for points, communist style
Lost your password?

Exalted martial arts style (silly)

Exalted martial arts style (silly) – January 11, 2011 6:13 PM (edited 1/11/11 1:13 PM)
chaoscat (452 posts) Ambassador of Good Will
Rating: Not Rated
So was listening to some Hendrix, and thought it would be hilarious to make a Sidereal Martial Arts tree based on the song Voodoo Child. Here's the outline, I'm looking for input on what the different charms should do. (Sutra lines in parenthesis after each charm).

Next to the Mountain Stance
(Once there was a Maiden
who stood up next to a mountain)
/ \
/ \
Landform Destroying chop Island Raising Gesture
(She chopped it down (She picked up the pieces
with the edge of her hand) and made an island, with a little sand)
\ /
\ /
Voodoo Child Form
(Because she was a Voodoo Child)
/ \
/ \
Time absorbing strike Time returning meditation
(She didn't mean to take up (She gave it right back one day)
all your sweet time)
\ /
\ /
Worldly Avoidance Stance
(She met you no more in this world)
|
|
Predestine Otherworldly Meeting
(But she met you in the next)

Syllabic (4:14 PM): tozzi are you like dowd's jiminy cricket
Re: Exalted martial arts style (silly) – January 11, 2011 7:35 PM (edited 1/11/11 2:35 PM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
Well, off the top of my head I almost think it would make more sense to make a Hendrix martial arts style where each charm represents a different song (Left Handed Wah-Wah Deity Style?). Or I could see an All Along the Watchtower style too Smile Maybe just because I know that song better.

That being said, all of the Voodoo Child charms make me think about change and transformation. My initial thought is that you want to have the charms be sort of similar to the Pattern Spider Bite charm from CMoS style. I'm not going to put down any hard details yet, just deal withthematic ideas. So perhaps:

Next to the Mountain Stance: Something that either redirects damage into the terrain or makes the user temporarily immune to something (a kind of "becoming the mountain" concept)

Landform Destroying Chop: Turn a physical being or piece of landscape incorporeal, permanently

Island Raising Gesture: Turn an incorporeal being or a spirit's sanctum corporeal, permanently

Voodoo Child Form: Allows you to create spirit sanctum "pocket dimensions" where you can step into and out of at any time, as well as potentially catching other people in them or leaving them there.

Time absorbing Strike: Touch a person (in combat an attack is required) and steal years from their lives. Every health level = 5 years.

Time Returning Meditation: Touch a person and reverse age them 5 years per level of damage given.

Worldly Avoidance Stance: Step between realms of reality (Yu-Shan, Creation, Underworld, Malfeas).

Predestine Otherworldly Meeting: This should be absurdly badass in some way (obviously), potentially teleporting someone to a specific encounter within their life.

Also, this doesn't quite feel like enough charms to me for a Sidereal style, anything we can split apart here?

Re: Exalted martial arts style (silly) – January 11, 2011 7:47 PM (edited 1/11/11 2:47 PM)
A style based on Hendrix's work in general would also be cool (it would need to have an axe as a form weapon, obviously), I was just thinking the lyrics in Voodoo Child really lend themselves to being a sutra. Unfortunately, it's a really short song (well, lyrics wise. I think he takes like seven minutes to play it usually), so I didn't end up with many charms.

Re: Exalted martial arts style (silly) – January 11, 2011 9:07 PM (edited 1/11/11 4:07 PM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
When I saw these descriptions, I thought of buff giving style of combat. Unfortunately, as Matt can attest to, I have no idea what constitutes as balanced in Exalted. With that in mind, here's my completely unplayable ideas:

Next to the Mountain Stance - Become immovable. All attempts to push, pull, trip, throw, knockback, etc are nullified.

Landform Destroying chop - Makes ground unsteady. Targets in a willpower radius area loose dex to dodge attempts.

Island Raising Gesture - Small circle of land raises up and floats willpower meters in the air. Possibly used to get a friendly archer a high advantage, or temporarily remove an enemy from the fight.

Voodoo Child Form - For every 2 points of damage taken by a single attack, the attacker takes 1 level of damage as well.

Time absorbing strike - Touch attack. Instead of dealing damage, add that many ticks to the enemies current counter.

Time returning meditation - For each point of willpower remaining, remove a ticks from your allies' current counters, split among each of your allies as you choose. (IE: if you have 6 willpower remaining, you can remove 3 ticks from Adam, 1 tick from Bob, and 2 ticks from Chris).

Not sure about the last two quite yet.

Re: Exalted martial arts style (silly) – January 11, 2011 9:22 PM (edited 1/11/11 4:22 PM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
These are actually not too far off a power level for a Celestial level martial art, which is what you were familiar with when we played, so I think you're not giving yourself enough credit for how much you picked up Smile

Tozzi's looking to make it Sidereal in scope though, which is where you get wacky powers like punching internal organs outside of their owners' bodies, or removing someone's ability to use language.

Re: Exalted martial arts style (silly) – January 11, 2011 10:54 PM (edited 1/11/11 5:54 PM)
Yeah, I'd thought about a few of those powers as well (specifically the tick adding and subtracting mechanics), but as Matt says, they're not broad enough in scope for Sidereal powers. Sidereal martial arts are supposed to be insanely over the top, not just regular over the top.

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh