The Gamer Corner
Be careful today, people, the McGriddle signs are ominous this morning
Talraen
Lost your password?

Breaking Bad: First Two Seasons

Breaking Bad: First Two Seasons – August 16, 2013 1:58 AM (edited 8/15/13 9:58 PM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: /images/autobot.gif + 1
I'm writing this now, having just finished season 2, because it's seasons 3 and 4 that are supposed to be SUPER AWESOME and it might be fun to look back on when I lacked faith.

So, Breaking Bad is pretty good so far. But it currently seems ridiculous that it has a reputation as one of the best dramas ever. There are two specific gripes I have. First, there are way too many convenient coincidences. Like, it's absurd. I'm not looking to spoil the show, but it seems like every time Walt is in a jam, what gets him out of it is super lucky and often out of nowhere. Then again, most of what gets him into these jams is also highly unlikely. Which... doesn't really make that better.

Second, I have a specific gripe with season 2. The first episode starts with a teaser of some crazy event, and further episodes during the season expand on what's happening. It all seems important and dramatic, and all season long I'm waiting to see what actually happens, and how. Well, the season is over and... yeah, still waiting. You can't tease something in episode 1 of a season and then just not resolve it at all. The season ends on a tease of that thing starting to actually happen, without giving any answers. Yes, this is specifically what prompted me to write this post.

I also have one very specific gripe about the show, which is a minor spoiler. I mean, Walter White is supposed to be the Best Chemist Ever(TM), right? So he ends up in a particular situation, and I (having had two years of chemistry a decade ago) immediately think "Oh he's probably going to do X." He doesn't, and I figure, oh maybe that wasn't practical in this particular case. Except... that's exactly what they end up doing, like a day or two later. Sorry, this is not some obscure chemistry thing, this is really basic stuff I learned in 11th grade. That bothered me.

Minor spoilers if you're interested
Minor spoilers if you're interested
I'm specifically referring to when the RV's battery dies and they're like "well we tried all the usual methods to jump the battery, what can we do with this mobile chemistry lab?" The obvious answer is to make a battery. I'd say a "chemical battery" but that's what batteries are, so that's redundant. I mean, duh.

Also, and this may be fueled by my hatred of convenient coincidences and the fact that it's the TV version of a book series I fell in love with specifically because it doesn't pull that shit (well, not for a while anyway) - but Game of Thrones is better. So far. So there!

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Re: Breaking Bad: First Two Seasons – August 16, 2013 12:21 PM (edited 8/16/13 8:21 AM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Rating: Not Rated
I've had similar issues with The Wire. That was supposed to be the best thing to ever grace tv, but I only found the first season to be ok and half way through the second season totally lost me on it. I couldn't even make it to the "holy crazy this is SUPER AWESOME!!" season.

Re: Breaking Bad: First Two Seasons – August 16, 2013 1:33 PM (edited 8/16/13 9:33 AM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
While I liked The Wire enough to buy it I can't say that it's actually one of my favorite TV shows. And the beginning is rough. Season 1 is a basic cop show that's just really well done. Season 2 dealing with the union issues was the low point of the series IMO. Seasons 3, 4 and 5 are really quite good, with Season 4 being the aforementioned "holy crazy this is SUPER AWESOME!!", and I will grant that it pretty much delivered on that stuff.

Breaking Bad I stopped watching midway through Season 3 because it was really dark and I was in a bad mood at the time and wanted something comedic. Again I felt like it was good but not Teh Best than Ev4R!!!11!

It does do a pretty fascinating job of letting us watch Walt get sort of forced into a life of moral compromise and then (when he conceivably doesn't have to keep to that life) choose it anyway because of how it makes him feel.

Cuzzdog (3:57 PM): No. Dowd. Shhhhhh...
Cuzzdog (3:57 PM): Matt just won. It's all over.
Re: Breaking Bad: First Two Seasons – August 16, 2013 2:17 PM (edited 8/16/13 10:17 AM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
If you guys want to get in on the next "OMG! This is the best show EVAR!!" wave, it's all about Orange Is The New Black. It's a drama, but with plenty of funny moments to keep it from getting depressing. It also features Captain Janeway as a Russian woman in jail for mafia ties. So there's that. There's only 13 episodes so far, so it's easy to rip through.

Re: Breaking Bad: First Two Seasons – August 16, 2013 2:26 PM (edited 8/16/13 10:26 AM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
Yeah, I've been hearing good things about it. I think I'm going to finish Friday Night Lights first, and then I'll decide between Breaking Bad and Orange is the New Black

Cuzzdog (3:57 PM): No. Dowd. Shhhhhh...
Cuzzdog (3:57 PM): Matt just won. It's all over.
Re: Breaking Bad: First Two Seasons – August 16, 2013 2:28 PM (edited 8/16/13 10:28 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
I don't have Netflix. But your comment about Janeway reminds me - Q is a guest star on Breaking Bad season 2.

--
There is no Mythril Sword in Elfheim
Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh