The Gamer Corner
I am all about mathematic dick measuring that no one cares about
Talraen
Lost your password?

Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology

Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 29, 2007 8:43 PM (edited 1/29/07 3:43 PM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: Not Rated
I think I may change the Podcasts page to have each one point to the "official" discussion thread for that podcast - and this will be the first!

So, the first podcast is up, clocking in at just under 66 minutes. It's divided pretty evenly into three segments (what we've been up to, news, and the topical discussion), with the last segment a bit longer than the other two. I put music in the breaks to differentiate them, as well as an intro and an (awesomely cheesy, IMO) outro. All music is provided courtesy of Gee Davey, since I can very easily get permission - or even original recordings - from them.

So, I anxiously await your uniformly positive impressions! OK, fine, I guess I'll accept criticisms too, if you must. Though I'm aware that a.) I talk like I have foam in my mouth and b.) the outro music drowns out our goodbyes. In the former case, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do, and in the latter, that was an editing mistake that there was no easy way to fix, so I just left it alone. Other than that, though, it's open season.

So, was it entertaining? Informative? Enjoyable? Too long or too short? Are the musical breaks and whatnot a good idea? Is the format good? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

In other news, I'll soon be putting up a thread for the second podcast, which I'm up for doing this upcoming weekend if possible (but with the Super Bowl and my sister's birthday, who knows). I'll start making one thread for participation volunteers and discussion of what the next topic should be. (Note that despite the topic being in the title of each podcast, it really is only relevant to the last segment, and the current plan is for it to stay that way.)

Well, go get the podcast from the podcasts page (or subscribe to the RSS feed) and enjoy!

(signature removed)

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 29, 2007 9:30 PM (edited 1/29/07 4:30 PM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
Well, I don't know if the "foam in your mouth" problem is really the issue. One word for you though: sibilants.

That being said, asthma or no, I'm going to start chain smoking to get a different voice. Tom Waits, here I come!

Nice editing job, and by and large I liked the music, although maybe this is because I couldn't tell why the outro was cheesy.

That was fun though, we should try to do one this weekend despite the football thingy that's happening, just to keep momentum going.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 29, 2007 9:38 PM (edited 1/29/07 4:38 PM)
If you like the music, you can (in all seriousness) check out the Gee Davey web page. They really are pretty good, and I'm not (just) saying that because it's my boss's band and this is a public forum. But the outro music was cheesy because they're screaming "it's over!" or whatever, and I just thought that was really funny. A side note: that is the only released Gee Davey song that doesn't end on a fade-out guitar note, a fact which I made sure to make fun of my boss for earlier today.

And yeah, everyone hates their own voice. I actually didn't for the first time during this podcast, though. I guess listening to it over and over and over again will do that. Also, I never realized how much I sound like my brother... like, we use the exact same inflections and everything, it was really funny (to me, at least).

I would also like to do these weekly, but for the love of god, not on Sunday night. Editing this thing was no small task (there was a lot of noise, especially after Jim showed up, so we can probably blame him, plus I have a terrible habit of breathing loudly directly into the mic every time I finish speaking, and that had to be edited out in about 40 places), and it's not something I can let go, so I'd like to have it up before Monday morning from now on.

(signature removed)

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 3:40 PM (edited 1/30/07 10:40 AM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
I just finished listening to the podcast, and on the whole it was pretty good. I have a few ideas for it though, so I’ll pass it on.

1) From someone who actually listens to the podcast on an mp3 player, please change the Name tag to be something like “Gamer Corner #1 –“ or even “GC #1” instead of just “Episode #1 –“. It’s just a little easier to find in the different views.

2) For some reason, the volume levels are really low compared to everything else I listen to. Can they be adjusted?

3) Steve: Skype is notorious for flaking out when you do just about anything else on the computer, so playing your MMO while podcasting is probably why you faded out so often Wink

4) The middle sections of music seemed kind of awkward to me. Maybe next time either do a full fledged intro/outro for each section, or just drop the middle music all together.

5) The news section had some interesting articles, but it seemed like it was James reading the news and everyone else agreeing or didn’t really know what to say. I think if an agenda with all the news that will be discussed was sent out prior, everyone would be able to comment a little more than when they come up as surprises.

6) The cursing was a bit pronounced on the podcast, and I think it would have sounded better without. There was even a curse right in the title of the episode. Maybe that can be kept under check in the future?

I guess that’s about it. Good run for the first time and I hope it keeps up. I’d be glad to join in one if I have more than a few hours notice and an agenda other than “expensive ass technology”.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 4:08 PM (edited 1/30/07 11:10 AM)
1.) The reason the name of the podcast isn't in the track title is twofold: first, it would make the title incredibly long, and second, it's the album name (and the artist name is gamercorner.net, so that would be a threepeat). I don't know about you, but I sort my podcasts by "album" (and indeed this is how the tags are set up on all the podcasts I listen to). I will check it out in iTunes to see if perhaps that interface calls for something else, but this isn't a big concern for me. Suck it up! Smile

2.) Yeah, I noticed that the volume levels are, on the whole, very low. I didn't even think of checking that - at some point I will adjust and re-upload the whole thing.

3.) Yeah, Steve! Except that he was playing FFXI on a different computer entirely. And in our testing, Matt was running all kinds of shit (installing Morrowind, for example) and we didn't have any particular problems.

4.) The problem with the breaks was that we didn't really plan out how to do them, so there actually were no real breaks. Both of them were just me editing out a few seconds of "wait, what's going on?" We really ought to go with some kind of "OK, we're going to take a break" thing, except there's nothing to do during the breaks (what am I gonna do, run commercials for my site?). Anyway, my initial plan was not to have break music, but it desperately needed something and I figured I'd play with it. They could definitely use some work, in any case, so I'm open to ideas.

5.) My intent was always to have shared news or somesuch, but a.) I put together my podcast notes about two hours before we recorded it and b.) getting the thing started was a real pain in the ass. Steve was a last-minute addition when we lost Will, and Jim was late and... it was a mess. Anyway, I can see three ways of making the news more interesting. We could just make me (or someone else) the "news guy" and have anyone else send them links or whatever if they wanted a particular item on the podcast. I would then send out the complete news list, complete with links, to everyone in advance of the actual recording. Alternately, we could have everyone come up with their own bits of news, which may not promote much more discussion but would at least get other people involved. Or you guys can all start reading the same sites I do so we can have meaningful conversation. (I like option C, myself Wink )

6.) There wasn't all that much cursing, especially not compared to how I talk in real life, but as you may have noticed if you were paying attention, it was the third time I said fuck that I first noticed I had. So the chances of me managing to keep it clean are very low. Then again, this isn't exactly a G-rated forum, so if we made a podcast with the iTunes "clean" tag and someone listened to it and came here, they'd be in for a surprise. I think we ought to just keep doing what we're doing - try to avoid bad language, but don't fuss about it. (I considered censoring language, because that's often funny, but in this case it really wasn't.)

I'll post a "topics for next time" post in a bit, but there's a reason the "artist" tag on the podcast said "gamercorner.net" and not "Gamer Corner Staff" or something silly like that. I really like the idea of user-created content, and having a podcast open to any users who want to be on it sounds really fun. This is your podcast (speaking collectively), so if you want to talk about something, speak up!

(signature removed)

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 4:46 PM (edited 1/30/07 11:46 AM)
Sloth (45 posts) Level 1
Sorry about flaking out on the podcast thing at the last minute, something pretty important came up and I had to deal with that. I definitely enjoyed listening to it though, even though it sounds exactly like every conversation I have with Jim or Dowd anyway. At any rate, I'm in a classroom right now waiting for some software to install. I'll post a more detailed opinion when I get back to my office.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 4:52 PM (edited 1/30/07 11:52 AM)
1) I don't care how you view your podcasts, (actually, are you even using an mp3 player to listen to them?) but I'm telling you that I don't subscribe to any podcasts that do not have some version of their name in the track title. When I listen to podcasts on my mp3 player, I do it by genre to see all podcasts I have. In that list there was only one podcast that was "Episode #1". "Episode" has 7 characters, why don't you just replace it with "Game C." which is also 7. Or even just "G.C." would save you length in the title. Since I'm going on the assumption that eventually other people will be listening to this, it's something you really need to clean up.

3) I don't think skype is processor heavy, but it does need full network access, so if Steve was playing FF11 on a different computer, but the same router it would give problems. Like wise, it's ok for Matt to be installing software since there's no network activity. I'm just saying in general, when people do the podcast they should really limit network activity to improve sound quality.

4) I think the middle music would just sound better if you had a stronger break. You were using wishy washy terms like "I guess" when finishing a section. Just be stronger to let everyone know that yeah, that's the end of this section. Cut to the music (which could be longer than 5 seconds too. Maybe extend it to 30 sec.) and then welcome everyone back and introduce the next topic.

It just seemed... chaotic to just say "I guess that finishes this section... maybe?" 5 seconds of music "And now here is this section I guess". It was a very jarring transition.

5) Yeah, I can tell it'll be hard to gather these news stories. I propose that everyone send to someone (you Dowd?) a list of news articles they want to talk about. You make the cut off date Saturday. Then on Saturday night you send out the list of topics that's going to be discussed. I think the bottom line is that everyone should have around 24 hours to become familiar with what's going to be talked about before hand.

6) I know there's no way you we're going to achieve a clean rating, and I'm not saying you should go for it. What I am saying is that it should really be toned down. In the first 15 minutes there are about 5 or 6 curses thrown out. You may not have noticed the cursing until the 3rd time, but I, the listener, noticed right away. It just came across as... unintelligent, and I know we're better than that.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 5:17 PM (edited 1/30/07 12:17 PM)
Do you have an iPod? Because the Zune, iTunes, and a random sampling of podcasts on iTunes makes it very clear that putting the podcast name on the track title is redundant. I'm guessing the iPod is the same way, but if not, I'd consider changing it. But if you have some Creative thing or something, suck it up and start renaming tracks Sticking Out Tongue

(signature removed)

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 6:13 PM (edited 1/30/07 1:13 PM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
I disagree with a number of these points (shock!)

1) *shrug*

2) WRU #2?

3) Playing FF on another computer while chatting? win

4) I had no problem with terms like 'I guess' the very last thing I want to listen to is people who are obviously new/having a good time with their podcast try to act like their actually ultra professional news bloggers. They're newbies, they acted like it, and it came off much more honest and on the level as a result. See: Tone below

5) The idea that I'm researching a topic before discussion denotes 2 things:

a) That I'm considering myself informed on this topic during the podcast
b) That people listening want to hear me report my knowledge of said topic

Let me give everyone a quick news flash - no one cares about you and no one knows you. People listen to people on the net for many different reasons, but the reason people are going to listen to Dowd is because he's passionate, informed and interesting. It's not because he's exhaustively researched a topic and is going to inform YOU about it. If you are listening to James talk about video games or the industry, you are already well informed and are lookin for a new/interesting take on the current news in the genre, and maybe you want to find out about something in the meantime, like when Matt came up with the random tech innovation (ray guns).

I had this conversation with Dowd last night but basically the best parts of the podcast to me were when you guys got to talk about stuff you were actually interested in. I liked when Matt and Steve discussed the movie, but hated when Matt referenced Iraq and Afghanistan, even briefly as he did. I think there are certain topics that should be banned from discussion (religion, the war in Iraq, etc) that we hear about ALL the time, from insanely more informed individuals. These individuals are paid for their efforts and naturally gifted broadcasters as well, you just won't compare.

Again, if I'm listening to a podcast by normal people, I want to listen to them become passionate about a topic. I want to hear genuine interest and heartfelt insights/opinions. I want to know why you liked this movie, or game, and why. Why the history of the genre made you play this game, or why the first RTS was Dune or whatever (that was an interesting topic because it was informative not because it tried, but just because it was).

I don't want to listen to a group of 20 somethings who read the paper and watch TV tell me about the news. You aren't researchers and though Dowd *did* do research (and it showed) I hated when Matt or Steve tried to fake the same. I'd also be really bored if everyone showed up next week or whenever with a set of 10 page notes that they started reading off of. Passionate opinions will make an interesting listen simply because you guys are genuinely interesting and intelligent, and there's nothing more fun than listening to 4 or 5 passionate, interesting and intelligent people debate a topic on something as silly as Why Pokemon is better than Mario Brothers, or something.

6) Fuck fuckity fuck fuck. The cursing was at a normal level for a typical conversation with 20 somethings. Again, that's what this podcast IS. The second the podcast becomes an attempt for you to all put on your reporter hats, I'm uninterested. I already have a paper and 1600 news channels for that. Oh right, and an entire Internet full of news sites.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 6:37 PM (edited 1/30/07 1:37 PM)
I would like to clarify that nothing I did in preparation for this podcast could possibly be termed "research." I just went to 1UP and Kotaku and scrolled through the last week's news looking for headlines that had piqued my interest the first time I read them, and made a quick list (and in some cases where notes were required, like the Harmonix quote, cut & pasted some text). But I knew the news because I read gaming news obsessively, not because I read them for the podcast.

That said, sometimes news makes for a much more interesting discussion when other people are familiar with it. Case in point: Square Enix licensing Unreal Engine 3. If Matt and Steve had heard this news story before I mentioned it, a.) they'd have had more than two seconds to think about the implications (although they still may not have cared), and b.) they would have realized from context that Unreal Engine 3 is not just a shooter engine. It's a graphics engine. But the discussion got sidetracked by the shooter stuff, which really wasn't the point of the news.

Anyway, the point is not that people should be well-informed (frankly, reading game sites and blogs for news is not a good way to be well-informed), they just need to have an opinion. Which means they should at least be aware of the news.

(signature removed)

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 6:44 PM (edited 1/30/07 1:44 PM)
Hey Mike, you know what people on the internets love to listen too more than passionate discussion? The muffled sounds of someone with their head stuck up their ass. So, in that case, you would be the perfect person to host the podcast.

Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about? How are the people on the podcast supposed to be able to talk passionately about a topic, when they don’t know jack shit about it? In case you didn’t notice, this isn’t the Dowd Show staring Dowd. When James was talking passionately it was because he had the information to talk passionately about it. Maybe I’m way off base here, and I’d hate to speak for Matt and Steve, but the parts that “Matt and Steve tried to fake” came across to me as James reading a news article that they hadn’t heard before and they were just trying to react to it on the spot with no background information. What were they supposed to say in that instance?

By letting everyone know before hand what’s going to be talked about on the show, people will be able to do the research to form their options on. That’s what’s going to lead to a good discussion. Otherwise the show will break down into one person reading a news article and everyone else saying “Yeah, that’s good”.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 7:06 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:06 PM)
I'm in the unusual and uncomfortable position of agreeing with pretty much everything Clair said.

Indeed, I can't remember agreeing with him this much since about eighth grade, when the topic in question was "girls are complicated and I don't understand them".

Oh, except the bit about Steve and I "faking knowledge", I'm not really sure what parts you're talking about, but I don't think I tried to fake knowing anything during that podcast. Occasionally my knowledge was hazy, and occasionally I might not have articulated it well, but that was 100% pure drivel straight from my brain.

Anyway, a lot of Cuzzo's initial points were good (and for the record, I do think something about GamerCorner should be in the title of the podcast), but most of them were technical issues and have been sorted out.

That being said:

I think that my attitudes towards research and cursing come from the same principle - genuineness. Any attempt to dress up who we are (what Clair charmingly refers to as "putting on our reporter hats") seems like a mistake to me. The page is a place where we hang out and BS with our friends. The podcast is an advertisement for the page. Ergo, the podcast should make people feel like this is a group of friends they could be a part of and not feel weird about. The fact that Will described listening to the podcast as being like every conversation he had with Jim and Dowd struck me as an unbelievably good compliment.

People consciously checking their language at every step results in a stilted and uncomfortable conversation.

People researching news articles and making notes results in a stilted and uncomfortable conversation.

This was our first one and it was rather haphazard at best (as has previously been described). I can see what Cuzzo's saying about familiarizing ourselves with the content. Correct me if I'm wrong Mike, but I don't think you're advocating that we research these things in our spare time, just browse around and know what the issue is in broad terms. I think it's good that we do that for whatever the topic of the week is (in this case Expensive Ass Technology), but I rather like that we didn't all know every piece of news already. Sometimes that's going to result in us saying "oh, I hadn't heard that. Cool, though." and sometimes it will result in a spontaneous and interesting conversation. I think the latter is worth the risk of the former.

So yeah, my 2 cents.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 7:08 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:08 PM)
So wait, is this the part where I put in my sig how Cuzzo begged me to host the podcast?

On the topic of research, in discussion with Dowd about informed each participant was on the various news factoids/topics, he said he had 'a 3 page set of notes' in front of him during the podcast. That to me is research for the sake of the podcast, which is where the Tone (capital T!) comes into play.

In broadcasting shows there is the color man, and the actual reporter. Check out John Madden and ... that other guy. The other guy is the reporter, he talks about what's happening, and Madden is the insan---I mean, the color guy, who gives background, opinion, analysis and conclusions based on his knowledge of the topic at hand, namely football.

In a theoretical podcast where everyone was reading the exact same websites and everyone wrote out 3 pages of notes, yes, I'm sure you could have an interesting and news worthy discussion. But I'd also turn off the podcast, because I could A) go to the those sites quite easily myself and B) listen to someone in the industry who has much more relevant experience to actually report on these news events.

Actually, your response basically makes my point about passionate yet uninformed opinions for me. You didn't have to do any research on podcasts to determine that you like news podcasts and like a typical format, you just perused podcasts, perhaps listened to some in your spare time, and developed an opinion. You've posted that opinion in some posts on this forum, which have been mostly boring and analytical, and now you made an inflammatory curse-riddled response in defense of your format after it was attacked. Guess which post was more interesting? I'll give you a hint, it was the one I responded to.

My opinion of the podcast is colored by the fact that I'm interested in what my friends have to say, because I know them. However if I was a typical viewer, with no relationship anyone, a colorless news report on the current events of gaming and entertainment would be really boring. I can only assume that the podcast is designed to be of some interest to its audience, or else, what is the point of posting such a podcast to the public domain. With that end in mind, I can again only point to the above post as an example of something interesting and response-provoking, and the rest of the analytical, boring, colorless posts about topical conversations, news positions, and research items that dominate this forum currently.

If I wanted to listen to people scream at each other all day, I'd just go home, but if I want to listen to people report on the news, I'll go to a source that I trust, not guys who simply peruse the web as much as I do. Somewhere in there, between outright anarchy and news reporting, there is probably an interesting show that involves intelligent people and passionate opinions. That's the balance I'd look for.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 7:12 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:12 PM)
And not to get overly defensive, but if you've seen Children of Men you know that it's ludicrous to have a discussion of the movie without at least briefly mentioning Iraq and Afghanistan.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 7:16 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:18 PM)
Yea I totally agree, I just recall that though it made logical sense, it still made me cringe that the topic would be brought up. I had no problem with it being used as the example it was used for, I just feared it would spark conversation.

Oh and on the 'fake' thing I was referring to the contrast between Dowd referencing his notes (though he did a good job of not reading them) and the rest of the speakers trying to operate on that level.

I think I'd prefer either an MC type role that was more defined, so that someone like Dowd (or whoever) could be given the option of researching stuff that week and performing the role of "Topic: the introduction of the ray gun from Grumman, thoughts?" Or everyone being equally noteless, so that it didn't run into issues like everyone having a conversation, except one person has a reference guide and the others don't.

It wasn't a matter of coming off fake, it was just a much different feel between you/steve and james, again, because of those notes. I'd re-listen to find the exact spot I was recalling, but enh, too lazy.

edit: Oh yea, unless it's the first week of the movie, just say spoilers will follow, and talk about the movie. That was frustrating as all hell to hear you guys talk about something interesting and yet not talk about it. Although I suppose the issue of spoilers could be a vote..

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 7:22 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:22 PM)
Dammit, now I'm torn. While I figured this argument was mostly semantics, now I wonder... which way to go? Keep everyone informed, or not? This is not a discussion I would have thought to bring up.

However, in the interests of full disclosure, I'm putting my entire Podcast 1 Notes, including stuff I added shortly afterward (hopefully Matt will be amused by the last item), online for all to see. Just because I feel like there might be some question about this sort of thing, and I want to nip that in bud. So check it out.

(signature removed)

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 7:30 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:30 PM)
I do like the last addition, but I think the BLURB section makes me even happier.

I'm really fine with this degree of research being done, and I like the idea of it being done by one person acting as a sort of MC. I think the main problem is that we didn't have four people for most of the episode. If you have an MC and two people it's going to be one person mediating an argument (only I can probably count on one hand the number of times Steve and I have had a real argument) or it turns into a triad structure.

I think we should do exactly the same thing next time and see if it all falls the same way. Making a ton of changes off of one episode that we didn't know we would be recording until about five minutes beforehand is premature at best.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 7:33 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:33 PM)
I’m still on the side of being informed before hand. Even if you just sent out the list of topics that would be fine. That way people would be able to go out and get their information from their own sources. This way, everyone is bringing at least a different view of the topic to the table. Plus, if the people don’t want to prep for the show, they don’t have to.

Obviously, some topics will come up that everyone is naturally informed enough to make an opinion, but a lot of the more technical topics, not everyone is familiar with. If those notes were sent out before hand, then Matt and Steve could have seen that URT3 was on the list and they could have followed up with that if they wanted to.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 30, 2007 11:32 PM (edited 1/30/07 6:32 PM)
I meant to reply to this earlier and never got around to it.

To #3 - When we were doing the test I was not only installing Morrowind but also downloading a ton of system updates from Sony (maybe about 500 MB worth of files), and I experienced no issues then. Mind you, a download is probably not using any of the outbound bandwidth (are they even kept separate?) whereas FFXI probably is.

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: Expensive-Ass Technology – January 31, 2007 4:42 PM (edited 1/31/07 11:42 AM)
Cyris (240 posts) Tapped Out
Yet again, I find myself oddly agreeing with Clair on all points.

I like the passionate rantings of people who like what they are talking about.

Sign me up for the dota episode so I can talk your ears off.

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh