The Gamer Corner
Partywipe: noun - 1) the intersection of hubris and bad luck to such a degree that that none survive to tell the tale
Lost your password?

Future Podcast Topics

Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 4:52 PM (edited 1/30/07 11:52 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: Not Rated
There's no way I can come up with three good podcast topics each week (or ever), but as I said elsewhere, I envision this podcast as being "user-created content" - so this thread is my call to users to suggest podcast topics for the future.

One thing I think would help a lot would be to make sure that the podcast participants are all able to come up with good conversation for the topic. Therefore, I propose that instead of voting (which didn't do so well last week anyway), the people on the podcast decide what the weekly topic will be. Optimally, we would know who was on each podcast before the prior podcast (so we could announce next week's topic during that first podcast), but I'm not holding my breath.

With that in mind, this will be the more-or-less official thread for submitting podcast ideas. If we get enough responses, perhaps I'll condense it into a new thread every now and then, or make a specific module on the site or something, but we'll see. So start posting ideas, no matter how specific or random, just so we have some ideas.

In addition, I feel like we may want to periodically do a series of smaller topics instead of one large one. During the podcast, there were a few things that were brought up that I think would make really interesting (but short) discussions, and maybe "tying up loose ends" every few podcasts would be a good idea. Alternately, we could have topics that lend themselves to this sort of thing, like "what are your video game pet peeves" or something, where everyone comes up with their own little thing. I don't know - it's something to think about.

(signature removed)

Dowd's Topics! – January 30, 2007 5:06 PM (edited 1/30/07 12:07 PM)
I have noted a few topics that I believe could be interesting in my podcast notes, so I'll share them with the class, so to speak. In no particular order:

The Console War
I suggested this as a choice in week 1, and I'm bringing it back! I don't know if we should do this immediately, but come on, it has to happen sometime (especially since as a group we finally have all three new consoles Smile ). I'd even be willing to defend the PS3.

Downloadable Games
Now this is a topic I find extremely interesting. We could discuss both the general concept of downloadable games (e.g., cheaper games without huge teams and multimillion dollar budgets) as well as specifics (Virtual Console vs. Xbox Live Arcade vs. Playstation Store vs. PC). There's frankly several podcasts worth of stuff to discuss here, and it doesn't strike me as the kind of topic you absolutely need to have the consoles in question to speak intelligently about (though if we did it, I'd probably put together a run-down of each service's feature sets).

Online Play
Not to be confused with the online games topic above, what about actually playing games online? Do you do it? Why or why not? What features do you want in online multiplayer? (And once again, there's always the console comparison aspect... not to beat that into submission or anything.)

MMORPG's
We have a bunch of people here who play them, why not fight about them? The problem here is I don't really know what the point would be - sure, we could do "FFXI vs. WoW" or something, but it's pretty clear WoW's won that battle, so why bother? (Nonetheless, FFXI 4 life!)

Music/Rhythm Games
There aren't a whole lot of people here who play these, but I'm all about talking about music games - the different styles, eastern vs. western, what you'd like to see, and so on.

[insert name of game/book/movie/whatever series here]
Hey, there's always a place for gushing about shit you like. For instance, a Harry Potter podcast after book 7 comes out (spoilers ahoy!) would seem like a good idea. I do think we should restrict these to when they're topical (i.e., coinciding with new releases and so on).

(signature removed)

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 6:34 PM (edited 1/30/07 1:34 PM)
Biggs (81 posts) Level 1
I think one person should be alowed a 1 minute rant an episode.

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 6:39 PM (edited 1/30/07 1:39 PM)
I think I'm gonna need more than one rant...

But in all seriousness, that's a cool idea. Although I'm not sure what you mean by "one person" - like, who? I think it would be fun to have each person get a 1 minute uninterrupted rant, maybe to close the podcast. Although maybe not the host, because that's probably gonna be me, and I talk enough (plus I can work any rant I want into the news or whatever, so ha!). What do you guys think of this idea?

(signature removed)

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 6:48 PM (edited 1/30/07 1:48 PM)
Biggs (81 posts) Level 1
I also ask that we create something unique for the podcast. Maybe a lighting round of what sucks. This could be where we go around and say 1 one thing that's gonna or is or sucked and you're still piseed about.

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 6:49 PM (edited 1/30/07 1:49 PM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
A 1 minute "final word" segment where everyone gets their last punches in to close the show could be cool. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to get your minute, as long as you kept it to a minute. Granted, that might be a record for you, but you could try Wink

Maybe the last minute rant would be like closing statements for the big discussion, thus differentiating that segment from the rest of your news ranting.

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 7:09 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:09 PM)
Balerion (1224 posts) Elite Powergamer
I think the idea is that each person can get a 1 minute rant that they can take whenever they want during the discussion. So (to pick a likely scenario), James is talking and Steve and I keep making salient and well argued point, James can just say "ok, here's my rant" and we have to give him 60 seconds to relieve himself of whatever is burdening his mind at that moment.

I also like the lightning round of "what sucks", but I don't know how I feel about the final comments bit, it seems to contrived.

Maybe we could start with a quick recap of what sucks from the past week? It's liable to provide fuel further into the episode.

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 7:13 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:13 PM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
I think there should definitely be a "Gamer Corner Post of the Week" and someone should read the most emo/interesting/flamish post on dowdnet that week.

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 7:16 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:16 PM)
You only want this because it would be you 45% of the time, Dowd 45% of the time and the rest of us would take up the other 10% Smile

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 7:16 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:16 PM)
Biggs (81 posts) Level 1
WellI know who would win the emo prize....

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 7:19 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:19 PM)
Hey if I'm not gonna be there, the emoness of gamer corner must be represented!

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 7:21 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:21 PM)
Had you decided not to participate? I don't think I even realized this.

I gathered that we would have a rotating group of people, sort of whoever could make it and was interested in that week's topic.

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 7:24 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:24 PM)
I'm sort of worried I'd ruin it. I'm so inflammatory on Dowdnet that I'd be worried it would play differently on a live podcast. Plus there's no edit button.

But then again if certain topical discussions came up (MMOs or Magic off the top of my head) I couldn't help but participate to talk about that.

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 7:28 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:29 PM)
Wow... so much for an organized topic list thread, I guess.

I must say, I love the idea of some kind of gimmick. However, I think adding too many (by which I mean more than one) will just be silly, at least all at once. I love the 1 minute rants, and I really love "what sucks." So why not just do that? 1 minute "what sucks" rants, one per person. I still think it would be a great way to close the show, if for no other reason than they could reference the show if possible (possibly even talking about why it sucks! So meta!), but I'm open to suggestions.

Regarding the "post of the week," I'm not sure that's a good idea. I mean, there isn't a whole lot posted here each week (at least not in the public forums Sticking Out Tongue). And how would we decide on this? Would there be a poll? That would spoil all the fun. Really we'd need someone to do it by themselves, and I don't think anyone wants to be in that position in a forum full of people they know.

(signature removed)

Re: Future Podcast Topics – January 30, 2007 7:40 PM (edited 1/30/07 2:40 PM)
Cuzzdog (1522 posts) Head of Gamer Corner R&D
Hey, you could call the segment "What Grinds My Gears" and then you'd be Peter from Family Guy. Wink But seriously, that sounds good with me. I'm also against the reading of posts from the forum since (for now at least) if anyone has something to say that they want on the Podcast, then they should go on the podcast and say it.

However, in the future, should someone subscribe to the show on iTunes, you might want to introduce listener mail. A dizzying thought that some "outsider" would listen, but you never know.

Re: Dowd's Topics! – January 30, 2007 9:27 PM (edited 1/30/07 4:27 PM)
http://www.white-wolf.com/sas/

This would be a great piece of news for next week's podcast, and could be extrapolated to "pre-made RPG content" as a major topic one of these days.

Dowd's Topics, Part II – February 2, 2007 4:29 AM (edited 2/1/07 11:29 PM)
Not to like, stay on the thread topic or anything, but a few more future podcast topics have come to mind, and I figured I'd list them here.

MMORPG RMT
Real-money trading (RMT) is, depending on who you ask, a big problem in a lot of current MMO's. Buying and selling items and cash causes problems, but arguably benefits players in some ways as well. Further, some companies are incorporating RMT into their game designs in an official capacity. So, is RMT good or bad for these games? Is it all a matter of perspective, or is there some objective answer?

Battle of the Console Ideologies
It's no secret that Nintendo isn't trying to directly compete with Microsoft and Sony in the console market, but Microsoft and Sony have plans so different it almost seems like they aren't trying to compete with one another either. Microsoft has made the Xbox 360, and with Vista now the PC as well, embrace much of the "console experience" - a lot is standardized and predefined to streamline your experience, while leaving a lot of room to "play your way" within the framework. The PS3, meanwhile, almost seems like a PC with it's total lack of Sony-branded accessories and UI requirements, but relatively open framework. How are these competing ideologies going to shape the next generation of gaming? Can the three coexist, creating a world where consoles are defined as much by their user interface as their library? Or are they destined to blur together before long?

Portable vs. Console Gaming
The DS rules Japan, and is doing better than anyone here would have expected back at its much-ridiculed launch. The Wii is looking to capitalize on the DS's momentum, but is that really going to happen? Can the almost portable-like gaming ideology of the Wii work as a console in the long term? Will original downloadable games that fill a similar niche to portable games help the Xbox 360 or PS3 gain some mindshare in this market? Are portable and console gaming really so different after all? Or are the basic expectations of gaming based on their platform soon to go the way of the dodo?

(signature removed)

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh