The Gamer Corner
Johnny 5 ... YOU ARE NO LONGER ALIVE!
Lost your password?

Poor man's Magic league?

Poor man's Magic league? – July 14, 2007 2:44 AM (edited 7/13/07 10:44 PM)
Biggs (81 posts) Level 1
Rating: /images/autobot.gif + 1
Hey guys. I've noticed the "hey let's play lotro together" hasn't worked out so well. How about we do a little magic league with Magic Online? It looks to me that we could do a draft ($12) plus the initial 1 time fee of $10 to get teh game. THat's pretty cheap for unlimited casual play.

Let me know if anyone is interested. THen down will make yet another Forum on the left. Weeeeeeee.

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 14, 2007 4:57 AM (edited 7/14/07 12:57 AM)
Talraen (2373 posts) Doesn't Play with Others
Rating: Not Rated
I have never played poor man's magic, so I don't remember exactly how it works, but I suspect it starts off with a sealed deck (12.29 for the tournament pack plus two 3.99 boosters each, which comes to about $22 if there's tax). The $10 fee is given back to you as a sort of coupon (it's less of a "fee" and more of a committment to buy that exists to prevent people from just making a ton of extraneous users).

I am interested in this as well, and I imagine both Earl and Brian will be, though they rarely check the forums so I may need to direct them here. Anyway, I don't think we should really commit to anything (in terms of format, for instance) until we get a good idea who's interested, though the $22 initial investment seems like a safe baseline. I'm open to almost anything, as long as I can get my casual magic on for cheap.

(signature removed)

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 14, 2007 10:02 PM (edited 7/14/07 6:02 PM)
Draethor (651 posts) Captain Hook
Sounds like fun.

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 5:49 PM (edited 7/16/07 1:49 PM)
Cyris (240 posts) Tapped Out
I'm in. For whatever format you come up with. Sealed is it? Define the rules Jimmy Smile

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 7:09 PM (edited 7/16/07 3:09 PM)
I've been talking to Jim, and we're both looking for a casual atmosphere, basically just a way to have people to play Magic with, without breaking the bank. The baseline we're looking at is Time Spiral block sealed, trade amongst ourselves, no stats or anything. And hell, no rules enforcement even - we just want to have fun.

Of course, this approach has a few pitfalls. First, we can't make 60-card decks, which is a little annoying (you have to play Free format to play with less). Second, it can potentially get stale. And third, if anyone should draft, join a league, or whatever, their cards will be mixed in, making it somewhat difficult to keep track of what's in the "poor man's league." (The best solution would be to make a deck of every card in the poor man's league, but that could get annoying when you make trades or if we ever agree to get new packs.)

So I want to know what you guys think of keeping things even more open. Maybe starting with a few more cards (like 2-3 more packs, another $8-12) so we can play 60-card decks. Hell, even letting people get some more cards or make outside trades if they really want to. Basically, I'd like to play Magic with my friends kind of the way it was back in the day, where no one had four-ofs or huge collections or anything. (And yes, I do have a lot of crappy draft commons and uncommons online, but most of them have rotated out of Standard anyway). Maybe this is a terrible idea, I don't know... what do you guys think?

(signature removed)

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 7:23 PM (edited 7/16/07 3:23 PM)
Draethor (651 posts) Captain Hook
I'd be happy just with an occasional draft or sealed deck tourney with people I knew. I had been hoping to draft last time I was home, but that didn't happen. Also, I doubt I'll be playing online outside of this league.

Basically, I'm fine with whatever as long as I get my Magic fix Wink

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 7:41 PM (edited 7/16/07 3:46 PM)
Does anyone have any problems with a "let's just play some magic, but try not to go overboard" thing?

Also, because it takes for-freaking-ever to update, you should probably download the client ASAP.

EDIT: Oops, accidentally quoted Steve. I should probably fix that "Array" thing...

(signature removed)

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 7:44 PM (edited 7/16/07 3:44 PM)
Airclair (1096 posts) Doesn't Play Well with Others
Who is this array guy, and why is he so bad at making smiles?

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 7:46 PM (edited 7/16/07 3:46 PM)
Cyris (240 posts) Tapped Out
A horrible childhood experience that it's best not to talk about. Have some decency!

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 7:52 PM (edited 7/16/07 3:52 PM)
Hey I heard you work at a computer game company and are thus banned from posting here~!

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 8:21 PM (edited 7/16/07 4:21 PM)
Debonair (259 posts) Lurker Extraordinaire
just curious, but considering how you guys actually want to play, why even bother with MTG: online, just set up games with apprentice. make decks out of whatever. Just a thought. saves you a few bucks, and you don't miss out on much.

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 8:26 PM (edited 7/16/07 4:26 PM)
Mtgo actually plays like magic, with everything kept track of for you.

having tested on apprentice for years, it actually teaches how you to play magic very poorly.

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 8:28 PM (edited 7/16/07 4:28 PM)
Debonair (259 posts) Lurker Extraordinaire
fair enough.

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 16, 2007 11:12 PM (edited 7/16/07 7:12 PM)
Biggs (81 posts) Level 1
So... can we get a count of who wants to play? I'd like to start ASAP as my magic clock is ticking!! I say anyone who wants in buys the 3 packs James is talking about.
Give it a week or two for people to make decks/trade/play a few rounds to get used to the interface. Then start some tournaments or play some emperor.
As long as we have 6 I'll buy my packs tomorrow!!!

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – July 19, 2007 2:31 AM (edited 7/18/07 10:31 PM)
Biggs (81 posts) Level 1
Ok ... Brian, James, Will and I have made an account. My name is bgdaddy1217.

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – August 8, 2007 3:47 PM (edited 8/8/07 11:48 AM)
Sloth (45 posts) Level 1
Are we ever going to get this started? Are we waiting for more people?

Re: Poor man's Magic league? – August 8, 2007 3:54 PM (edited 8/8/07 12:14 PM)
I'm not sure what you mean by "started," since AFAIK we don't actually have any rules in place or anything like that. I log in every night and check my buddy list, and last time I looked no one had logged in since July. I think the real problem is that you guys have DOTA (and Steve has FFXI), so no one's going to go out of their way to play MTGO without someone pushing them.

Now, I would be that someone, except I don't really see the appeal of just playing the same sealed deck forever, and several people have said they don't really want to buy more packs. So the only thing that seems interesting to me is to get one more person, for a total of six, and play Emperor or something. We would also need 6 to put Steve's draft idea into action. And I've been bugging Earl to play, to no avail. But I'm definitely up for playing if anyone else wants to do so.

EDIT: Also, I should mention that the Magic Online 3 Open Beta is now up and running (see the second blog post here for details and links). I've played around with it a bit, and the interface is kinda wacky, but it does allow you to arbitrarily get lots of cards to play with. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have Future Sight cards, though, so even if you use your existing account, we really can't play with the cards we already have. Nonetheless, if anyone wants to try out some random stuff (like an Invasion draft or something) for free, here's your chance.

(signature removed)

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh