The Gamer Corner
Things won't become as bleak as you fear. They're already just as bleak as you fear.
Cuzzdog
Lost your password?
Rating: Not Rated

Heinlein without the Heinlein

Balerion's Review of Leviathan Wakes by S.A. Corey (Books)

I picked this up after it was recommended on George R.R. Martin's blog a few weeks back and finished it last week. It's a page-turner, hard sci-fi, space opera, mystery set in a future in which humanity has colonized the solar system but hasn't quite made it to the stars yet.

Is it the best science fiction you'll ever ready? Probably not, and in some ways the plot is pretty humdrum stuff. But what pulls it together is the writing, the rapid shift in viewpoints, and the wry wit of the characters. The whole thing felt very reminiscent of Moon is a Harsh Mistress, particularly the strong descriptions of the physics involved in near-future space colonization. No gravity generators, no hyper drives, and human bodies and social mores are warped and changed by living in the harsh conditions of non-atmosphere environments.

I found myself having trouble putting this book down, and am eagerly waiting for the next book in the series, though this one was a complete plot in and of itself (for those of us with aversions to reading series that aren't fully written).

Score: A-

Active Users: (guests only)
1 user viewing | Refresh